We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where do the 'Utrechters' eat?

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
900 posts
35 reviews
Where do the 'Utrechters' eat?

We are in Utrecht for 6 nights in January for the Vakantiebeurs. Am hoping to eat in some great, reasonably priced (i.e. main course up to €20) places (restaurants, eetcafes, pop-ups).

Any suggestions for hidden gems we may not spot by simply walking around the old town? Or 'not-so-hidden' gems you'd also recommend?

Looking forward to your suggestions. Many thanks.

17 replies to this topic
Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
4,744 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Where do the 'Utrechters' eat?

Utrechters usually eat at home. Eating out funnily enough isn't really a big thing. When at home people cook their meals. Mostly we go out to eat for celebration or with colleagues or whatsoever and usually not in your own home town.

But to your gems: I've worked in Utrecht for a few years. And I've always liked the following:

- American Steakhouse Broadway

- Thai Restaurant Mahanakorn

- beers and barrels

Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
2. Re: Where do the 'Utrechters' eat?

There are loads of restaurants at the water level along Oudegracht (which is basically the basement level) which are easy to miss. Pay attention to the shield erected along this canal advertising these restaurants.

1 post
2 reviews
3. Re: Where do the 'Utrechters' eat?

Dining out is not a common ritual in Utrecht as others have suggested and it tends to be expensive for value imho. I would recommend Miyagi & Jones near Utrecht Centraal though, maybe for dinner. They have a parking space if you are going to drive there, and vegetarian menus as well as excellent food and ambiance.

Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Where do the 'Utrechters' eat?

From a culinary point of view Utrecht is disappointing, if you ask me a as an inhabitant from Utrecht. Value for money is low. There is not one Michelin star restaurant in Utrecht! which says sth about the culinary standards and/or aspirations in this provincial town. For € 20 you can have a refined and authentic Indonesion menu at: Toko Mitra. http://www.tokomitra.nl

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
155 reviews
5. Re: Where do the 'Utrechters' eat?

We eat out at least once a week and so do a lot of my friends and family. New restaurants open every week so not part of culture is not really correct IMO...

Some of My favorites are Cantina di David, Piatto, Leen, De Poort, Zies, Sea Salt Saloon, De Markt.

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
155 reviews
6. Re: Where do the 'Utrechters' eat?

Posts 3 and 4 look like self promotion to me.

Europe
Level Contributor
4,021 posts
7. Re: Where do the 'Utrechters' eat?

Post 3 indeed seems to be an account created specifically to create that post. The profile of poster #4 seems genuine to me.

Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
4,744 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: Where do the 'Utrechters' eat?

Compared to other European countries the Netherlands are in the bottom half of total eating out establishments per capita.

Post 4 is weird because there is a Michelin star restaurant in Utrecht, Grand Restaurant Karel V.

Being a vibrant student town I actually think the quality of eateries is high in Utrecht. There's really hardly any bad restaurant along Oude Gracht, prices are student friendly so in general not too high.

Post 3 indeed look like shameless self promotion. But who knows... Maybe the poster will return and prove us wrong :)

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
5,715 posts
8 reviews
9. Re: Where do the 'Utrechters' eat?

Post 4 might be weird, but it is correct with regards to the absence of Michelin star restaurants. Karel V lost it’s star a couple of years ago.

Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
4,744 posts
17 reviews
10. Re: Where do the 'Utrechters' eat?

Yup I just realized they lost their star in 2013 already...

That said I don't think having a Michelin star restaurant in a city says anything about the general quality of food in a city.

Edited: 01 January 2018, 19:30
Reply to: Where do the 'Utrechters' eat?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted