We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Impromptu Haarlem Trip!

Hillsborough, North...
Level Contributor
114 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Impromptu Haarlem Trip!

Not really a question, I'm just excited! Had to use some airline miles before they expired, have a day off from work 2/20, can take 2 days vacation and net 4 plus a travel day! So, off to Haarlem, which I've not yet visited. Have been in Amsterdam twice in the last 4 months, so thought something a little different. Will be staying at the Golden Tulip Lion d'Or. Other than the tried and true - Grote Markt, Bloom, Hals, et al, any special pubs, cafes, restaurants or other venues you lovely folks would recommend?

Sint-Bavokerk (Church of St. Bavo)
Sacred & Religious Sites, Historic Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Grote Markt
Historic Walking Areas
Netherlands
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Impromptu Haarlem Trip!

If you're into science Teylers Museum might be interesting.

www.teylersmuseum.eu/index.php…

Hillsborough, North...
Level Contributor
114 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Impromptu Haarlem Trip!

Thanks! I had read about that and was pretty intrigued, especially when I read that Napoleon had once signed the guest book! Started by a wealthy merchant, I believe. On my short list!

netherlands
Level Contributor
672 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Impromptu Haarlem Trip!

I highly recommend a city walk along the famous almshouses of Haarlem. This walk also allows you to visit other sights as Teylers Museum and the Great Church or St. Bavo's.

See for more info about this 'Hidden Green Oases' walk my tip on Virtual Tourist: …virtualtourist.com/vt/tfr/1/312/4/21a79f/

happy travels

Jaap

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Impromptu Haarlem Trip!

Oh vtveen ~ you even included the Proveniershuis !!!! Such a lovely peaceful oasis. Fond memories. Thank you for the link.

Across the street (Grote Houtstraat 179) there's the world's very best gelati at Garrone.

www.iens.nl/restaurant/11065/haarlem-garrone

5. Re: Impromptu Haarlem Trip!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2013, 10:35
Get answers to your questions about Haarlem