We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the end for coffee shops

south coast
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Topic
the end for coffee shops

Well it looks like they are going to close the coffee shops for tourist by the end of the year, what do you all think of that, is the dutch government right or wrong,

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,054 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: the end for coffee shops

And your source of this information??

south coast
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: the end for coffee shops

hi. sky news. dutch papers, it was decided in parliament on Friday

bill

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,154 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: the end for coffee shops

yep, youre right...no reason to come over now...im resigning DE job effective immediately

dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2011/05/cannabis_…

Edited: 28 May 2011, 11:49
south coast
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: the end for coffee shops

i have been to Amsterdam over thirty times, i love Amsterdam, the dutch people are so friendly, its my favorite place to unwind and chill, all that will happen now is there will be more of them horrible people wondering around there red light district,

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,054 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: the end for coffee shops

OK this is still only a proposal. The commission reported it's findings and qell surprise they came out with this.

At least the Gemente in amsterdam realise that this is a stupid idea and will force soft drugs underground and also cost the city much more money than the smaller towns in Limburg that have already enforced a ban.

Anyway if they do enforce this ordinary locals will make a fortune from tourists selling them their buds. As a resident I am entitled to buy as much as I want then. So I can just sell that on at a profit. Fantastic. I can hand my resignation in now and become a drug dealer.

They still have to come up with a good reason to circumvent the basic human rights of other EU citizens not to be excluded or descriminated against. If you deny someone entry to a place of business on grounds of their nationality then that goes against the principles of the EEC charter.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,154 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: the end for coffee shops

ron, will you be my dealer?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
15,309 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: the end for coffee shops

Ron, 4 grams of Blueberry, and 4 grams of bubblegum to start.

Cost plus fix fee?

Fairfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
201 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: the end for coffee shops

So what ID will they be wanting? I have my old dutch passport but it is expired. Wonder if I can leave my husband sitting out front lol. Stupid law it will never work and will just result in a huge mess. They will increase crime in the city when getting the levels down was going so well. Sure go from petty crime problems caused by some stoned tourists to crime from organized thugs selling to tourists. Sounds like a brilliant idea @@

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: the end for coffee shops

You say by the end of the year...I am headed there the first week of October. Do you think this will be done by then?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,054 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: the end for coffee shops

I very much doubt it superjules