We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report from this past Weekend

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York, NY
Level Contributor
37 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report from this past Weekend

Hi,

Thought I'd put this up as I got lot's of good info from replies to my questions and previous threads. Really not too informative but hopefully of some interest....

I arrived at midday on Queen's Day and the trains from Schipol were a mess. After a train to Amsterdam Zuid and metro it took an hour and a half to get to my hotel near Centraal Station when it usually takes 30 min. The trouble was worth it though, as it was an awesome party everywhere in the city. Museumplein was a bit too crowded for me, so I spent most of the day up and down Prinsengracht which was a great atmosphere. Will definitely be going back next year and trying to get on a boat!

My wife arrived later that night and we stayed that 1st night at the Marriot Renaissance. Really no complaints - good location, nice room and bathroom. Would stay there again...

The last 2 nights we stayed at Maes B&B on Herenstraat. Great location and nice place. Would have no problem staying there again as well.

Saturday we spent just walking around the Jordaan and canals. The sun came out in the afternoon and we had a few beers outside at Cafe Brandon on Keizersgracht-probably my favorite spot for late afternoon drinks in the sun.

Sunday we went to Keukenhof, which really is impressive. It definitely exceeded our expectations by a mile, even with the crap weather. Unfortunately, the weather was so bad that we didn't rent bikes and just headed back to Amsterdam in the early afternoon.

Monday we walked around a bit in the Nine Streets and Spui area, which was cool except for the even crappier weather. We went to the Anne Frank House which was interesting. Not really that amazing but I don't think that's the point. It's less what we saw and more how it made us feel that we took away from it. Either way, if you're planning on going there, book your tickets online in advance and just walk in.

We had 2 really good dinners at De Witte Uyl and De Belhamel. De Witte Uyl probably had the better food - the menu is great and the food is different and somewhat adventurous without being pretentious. Belhamel was great too and the canal views from the restaurant are really nice.

We had a great weekend, but the weather on Sunday and Monday grinded us down a bit which was too bad. Oh well, we'll have better luck next time with that. Queen's Day was amazing. Generally my favorite area was the western canals between Browersgracht and Leliegracht. I would say that some of our favorite chill spots were Cafe Brandon, Cafe Van Zuylen, Siberie and the Thai rest/cafe on Wolvenstraat. As always with Amsterdam, looking forward to getting back soon.

Marc

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,560 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report from this past Weekend

Super. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Wish I was there,

chuck

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report from this past Weekend

Thanks Marc - sounds like a good time! MMK

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,538 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report from this past Weekend

Thanks for the report. Sorry aboat the Cafe Zuyklenut the weather. Believe it or not it was 25C on the day before you arrived. On the Wednesday I got sunburn on a boat going around the canals. The day before I sat with a friend at the Cafe Zuylen until early evening in the sunshine.

Felt sorry for folks on QD but not much you can do about the weather.

Thanks for sharing

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report from this past Weekend

Marc,

Great report and yes, I sympathise with you about the weather on Sunday and Monday - especially since we haven't had any rain for about 3 weeks (though the gardens have needed the rain!) - needless to say, today is bright and sunny, though cold.

Glad to see that you enjoyed yourself at my friend Annemieke's restaurant De Witt Uyl - her selection of food and wines is brilliant as she sources so much of her food from the more rustic parts of France.

Belhamel is also excellent though I find that noise can reverberate due to lack of soft furnishings; but the service is friendly and the food is excellent. And if you grab a window table - very romantic! ;-)

Cafe Brandon is a great place to chill and get a great view of the canals along both the Keizersgracht and the Leliegracht! Well done!

London, United...
Level Contributor
195 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report from this past Weekend

we were there sat/sun/mon yes the weather was really bad, but Amsterdam was an eye opener! two restaurants to recommend Gartine and Bo- Cinq which has the longest bar i have ever seen and excellent Wagyu beef burgers

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report from this past Weekend

Yes, Bo-Cinq is excellent - part of the Jimmy Woo empire! Great place for Sunday jazz too!

Glad to see that you had a great time here despite the weather! ;-(

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
181 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report from this past Weekend

Well I thought the weather was pretty good on the whole. It was blazing hot on thursday and sunny for most of Queens Day. We went to Keukenhof on Sunday morning too, before the rain set in properly. Everything was gert lush.

Gotta say - staying in the houseboat with a balcony on Prinsengracht was awesome for Queens Day. It was just awesome full-stop - fantastic location and even when it rained it was a bright & comfy place to relax & watch the tourist boats go past...

houseboathotel.nl/accommodation_amsterdam/ho…

Had a really good session in 't Arendsnest on sunday afternoon - brilliant bar that. And a suitably stunning Rijstaffel at Sampurna - never disappoints.

Stu - thanks for the recommendation for Bridges. Really nice place and stunning fish. Not cheap for sure, but really good.

So we had an absolute blinder. I love the Dutch - they're so much fun.

Photos here:

flickr.com/photos/…

Thanks again to all for good recommendations, as always.

8. Re: Trip Report from this past Weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2010, 04:18