We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Amrath location...good?

waukesha,wi
Level Contributor
462 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Amrath location...good?

We will be spending 2 nights pre cruise in Sept. I see GH Amrath is used often as it is a top hotel on the discount sites.

Not familiar with the city, would this hotel be in a location good for strolls, restaurants, canal stops etc. Or should we look in a different location that might be more conducive to the "feeling" of Amsterdam.

Another person rec. the Estherea and Fita hotels to me. Wondering if those are better location wise. We enjoy walking, so walking 15 min somewhere for us is nothing.

Any help appreciated.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,804 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Amrath location...good?

Amrath is definitely at least one star more than Estherea.

Locationwise QUITE central, at 5 mins from station and 3 mins from the Nieuwmarkt-Zeedijk district with lots of restaurants. So I'd say go for it. Note that the discount rates are usually without B'fast which is at 5-star price in Amrath, so you'd generally go outside for that too...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Amrath location...good?

The Amrath - a very nice hotel - is located on the edge of the city centre and a 10 minute stroll will take you into the main Dam square, passing through the RLD en route. Amsterdam is a compact city and the Amrath is not remote in any way, though it is some way from the city's museum area, which would require using the tram.

The Estherea is right in the middle of the city's beautiful canal belt, so if you want to stroll along the canals at your leisure, the Estherea would be more suitable location for you. It is very centrally located in the city centre.

The Fita Hotel is a much smaller hotel and located in the city's attractive Vondelpark/Museum area and well located for strolling through the park and surroundings.

All of the hotels are close to decent restaurants - none of them are in the 'sticks', but the true Amsterdam feeling is probably experienced best in the Estherea.

waukesha,wi
Level Contributor
462 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Amrath location...good?

Thank you BOTH for your help. This is the info I really was interested in. I will look at costs of all the above mentioned and go with that, combined with the location info. Thanks so much!

I DID find some info on how to get to the center city area from AMS. Would you agree that either cab or a bus would be the way to go? With each of us dragging a large piece of luggage, wondering if using the bus system is going to present a problem? Did I read there is some kind of express bus from the airport? And where does it stop?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Amrath location...good?

If there are two of you with two large suitcases, I would always advise getting a taxi straight from the airport (and it so unseemly to haul one's Louis Vuitton on and off public transport particularly if heading to a decent hotel!!) ;-)

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,804 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Amrath location...good?

The 'express' bus is at

www.schipholhotelshuttle.nl/site/home.asp

First select hotel and then see whether it is served, top hotels should be.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

waukesha,wi
Level Contributor
462 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Amrath location...good?

Thanks for the great site re the airport shuttle bus. I see that the Grand Hotel Amrath isn't listed. Or am I missing it? What would be our option if indeed it is not on the list of stops?

There are no prices listed for a ride. Anyone have any idea?

Edited: 25 February 2010, 16:33
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,893 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Amrath location...good?

They will take you to any hotel at a one way price of € 15,00. each. Do you mean that you have/are going to book the Amrath? The public express bus does not go anywhere near the Amrath.

www.schipholhotelshuttle.nl/site/nieuws.asp

Normally the one way is € 15,00. to a listed hotel and return is € 24,00 but since you are departing on a cruise I guess you are not returning via Schiphol. Of course if you spend another 15 euros you can just take a taxi directly to the hotel from the airport like what Stuart suggested.

If you don't mind the 5 minute walk (10 from the train platform) you could take the train to Amsterdam Centraal. Train takes 17 mins.

waukesha,wi
Level Contributor
462 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Amrath location...good?

Thanks for the shuttle info. Not sure of the Amrath yet. My dh is looking at others. Are you saying, however, a taxi would get us near the center city hotels for about 30 euro? That would probably be the way for us to go if pretty much equal to the shuttle.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,804 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Amrath location...good?

No. What he said was "Of course if you spend another 15 euros" because the taxi from airport to city is around EUR 45...

Regards,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,622 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Amrath location...good?

I live around the corner from the Amrath a friend came by cab last week it was €50. What is wrong with the train? For the Amrath you can see it from the station. The trams are also easy to use,even with luggage.