We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice restaurants in the city centre

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
17 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Nice restaurants in the city centre

Hi!

I would like some advise about nice reataurants in the city. The ones where the locals go, cheap or not, the ones that are «in», and the ones where the food is unfergatable...

I'm going ther on June. You got time to think... LOL!!!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice restaurants in the city centre

Hi -

I did a cut and paste from my post on the last time this question was asked. You can find the whole past on page 3 of this forum.

>> oooooooooohhhh my favorite topic!

Here are some of our favorites we go to again and again:

Pizza: Yam-Yam Tratatoria

Dutch Food casual: Moeders

Dutch Food less casual: Greetjes

Long bike ride but worth it: Klein Jansen

Best price quality rommantic but you better reserve a couple months in advance: Chez Georges

More upscale Romantic: Breitner

Take away Greek: Mitsos

Classy Indonesian - Blue Pepper

Nice wine list : Puyck

Great pancakes: My house !!! And also I've heard good things about The Pancake Bakery

That should get you started.

To see address, map, phone number, and other details of these places including reviews (except of course for 'My House') see :

www.iens.nl and hit the English button.

Have Fun!!! MMKoppes <<

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice restaurants in the city centre

Well, the Supper Club is an unforgettable experience (I mean in a good way!!) so that should be on your list.

Both La Rive and Ciel Bleu have Michelin stars (CB has 2), and although Vermeer has lost its Michelin star, it is still a wonderful restaurant (the soufflé dessert is to die for!!) and the sommelier must be one of the best in town!

Yamazoto Japanese Restaurant at the Okura Hotel is very "in" at the moment, and The Dylan is beginning to make a comeback.

Restaurant Envy is also hip, as is its sister wine bar, Vyne (spot the anagram!).

I can also recommend De Witte Uyl, which is an excellent neighbourhood bar with a surprisingly good wine list. The menu is also innovative and well cooked.

June is a great time to visit Restaurant Kas, which grows its own vegetables in the city's former nurseries - and it is also well worth a visit.

Ron Blaauw's Restaurant in Oudekerk aan de Amstel is a 15 minute drive out of the city, but is well worth the trip, or try his restaurant in the RLD, called Blaauw aan de Waal - and in June you will be able to sit on the outside terrace.

My favorite Chinese Restaurant is the Dynasty, and again they have a beautiful garden at the back that is open in the warm summer evenings!

Hope this helps.

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,867 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice restaurants in the city centre

hi , I cant argue with the excellent suggestions from MM and Stuart but will add a few more in the slightly more affordable class !

Dutch/International , de Kroonprins and Haesje Claes.

Italian , Saturnino and to a lesser extent Savini

Spanish , La Paella , Warmoesstraat 43 , authentic food and many "locals " eat there.

Traditional Chinese , Wing Kee

Wok/Dim Sum Chinese , Treasure

Vietnamese , Welcome , on Zeedijk

Steakhouse , Gauchos ( Damstaat ), TER and Al Argentino.

also if you feel like a splurge , Cafe Roux at Softel The Grand. One Michelin Star.

... geoff

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,867 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice restaurants in the city centre

and forgot , Thai , Bird or Butterfly .... geoff

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice restaurants in the city centre

For great seafood.....Lucius http://www.lucius.nl/

For romance/canal views ... De Belhamel http://www.diningcity.com/ams/debelhamel/

Seattle, WA
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice restaurants in the city centre

I am reading these posts with great interest. We will be in Amsterdam in June with our 2 kids and 2 of their friends (really young adults, ages 21 and 18.) Thanks to everyone who is taking the time to give these recommendations.

Filoxera, we are flying to Lisbon from Amsterdam. Can I ask you the same question for Lisbon? What local cafes would you recommend in Lisbon? (With 6 people and the weak dollar, we are price sensitive - but can also splurge for a special meal.) I believe that the locals eat in cafes/restaurants with the greatest value - and we love to get away from typical tourist places. Thanks so much. BTW, we are staying in the Pena neighborhood in an apartment.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
17 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice restaurants in the city centre

Thanks for all the information I hope I will have time to try many of the suggestions. I’m willing to go just check them.

Thanks a lot!!!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,731 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice restaurants in the city centre

GiveintotheDrifter, although stranger things have happened Lisbon is 1400 miles from Amsterdam so I doubt you will get locals to give you eating recommendations. Have been there a couple of times though. Very nice city. Did eat in a lovely Italian but where it was and what it was called god only knows.

Alpha Centauri
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice restaurants in the city centre

Votes for De Kas and De Silveren Spiegel

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,003 posts