We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sleeper Trains in Europe- Please Help!!!

Chicago, IL
12 posts
Save Topic
Sleeper Trains in Europe- Please Help!!!

Hi Everyone!

My boyfriend and I have been planning a trip to Europe and we fly out on February 25th (off season). We have the tickets, insurance, Eurail Global train pass, and the hostels booked. Our plan is to see a lot of cities in only two weeks. The way we were going to pull it all off was using sleeper trains. So I mapped it out and made sure the train went from point A to point B and their times via the time tables on eurail.com. See the itinerary below:

Paris- 2 days, 1 night: Overnight Train to Venice

Venice- 1 day: Overnight Train to Vienna

Vienna- 2 days, I night: Overnight Train to Zurich

Zurich- 1 day: Overnight Train to Berlin

Berlin- 2days, 1 night: Overnight Train to Munich

Munich- 2 days, 1 night: Overnight Train to Amsterdam

Amsterdam- 2.5 days, 2 nights

Brussels- 2.5 days, 1 night with side trip to Bruges (maybe)

The problem: The overnight trains’ reservation fees for a couchette are a little high to reserve online at raileurope.com. I don’t want to sleep in the folding chairs but we have a tight budget. I hear it is cheaper to just reserve the trains at the train station.

The Question: With our tight schedule (one full train could throw the whole schedule off and we’d lose our hostel reservations and time in each city) should we book the trains now and pay the extra or wait and book them at the train station when we arrive to save some money (we are traveling off season Feb/March)?

Thanks for your help!!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,372 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sleeper Trains in Europe- Please Help!!!

I don't think that you will have a problem booking as you go at this time of year. Have you looked at booking through the BAHD German rail site for the Citynightline sections at least? They have a telephone number you can call on there too. I can't find the actual amount the suppliment should be for the Citynightline trains but for the couchettes I think it is either free or only a couple of euros.

One question though? I would have thought that travelling from Zurich to Berlin and then to Munich was a really long way around. You can get from Zurich Airport to Munich in 4 hours by direct train.

Also travelling by night you are going to miss some spectacular scenery through Austria, Switzerland and Bavaria.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,541 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sleeper Trains in Europe- Please Help!!!

Yes if you went Zurich-Munich-Berlin-Amsterdam you would save quite a few hours of travel time

Have you asked this question on the train travel forum I'm sure they know best ways for booking CNL sleepers

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,340 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sleeper Trains in Europe- Please Help!!!

Wow thats alot of traveling,, sorry thats all i have to say wow

enjoy

Peace Matt

Chicago, IL
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sleeper Trains in Europe- Please Help!!!

Yeah, that was my plan, it makes so much sense. But when I checked the time table on raileurope.com there wasn't an overnight train from Zurich to Munich or Berlin to Amsterdam. So I had to re-route.

Edited: 22 January 2010, 17:43
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,033 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sleeper Trains in Europe- Please Help!!!

that itinerary makes me dizzy..seems like as soon as you arrive you are preparing to leave..

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,541 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sleeper Trains in Europe- Please Help!!!

I thought there was one from Berlin to Amsterdam. You could always stay in a hostel in Berlin and Munich and travel by day. You are planning more of an ordeal than a holiday!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
556 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sleeper Trains in Europe- Please Help!!!

You can go onto the Deutsche Bahn website

www.deutschebahn.com/site/bahn/en/start.html

Here you shall find all your options and if you cannot book on their website due to the destinations, you can click on the type of train for the travel and it shall give you the info of the website you need to go onto.

"Night trains (NZ, EN, D-Zug, UEX, CNL)

There are various types of night train

CityNightLine AG (CNL) is a company that runs trains linking a large number of cities in Germany with metropolitan centres in Switzerland, Austria and the Netherlands.

The D-Nacht (D-Nacht) service is jointly run by various railway companies and serves most countries in Eastern Europe as well as France.

DB NachtZug (NZ) serves a great number of destinations within Germany as well as some in Denmark, Belgium, France, Italy and Switzerland.

EuroNight is a service run by our counterparts in Austria, Italy, Hungary and Romania.

You can book CityNightLine directly at www.citynightline.ch, the EuroNight service run by Austrian Federal Railways (ÖBB) at www.oebb.at and the Berlin-Malmö night train at www.berlin-night-express.com."

The Vienna - Zurich you need to book through www.oebb.at

The Amsterdam - Brussels you would need to book through Thalys trains:

http://www.thalys.com/nl/en/

I hope the above assists you!

Enjoy your trip

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,372 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sleeper Trains in Europe- Please Help!!!

There is definately a night train Berlin to Amsterdam, Its the train from Prague to Amsterdam which stops in Berlin.

citynightline.net/nachtzugreise/view/mdb/nac…

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,541 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sleeper Trains in Europe- Please Help!!!

There are frequent trains from Munich starting from 04.30! So a 7 am train would have you in Berlin for lunch

10. Re: Sleeper Trains in Europe- Please Help!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2010, 05:16