We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stockholm to Zurich

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
tennessee
Level Contributor
181 posts
233 reviews
Save Topic
Stockholm to Zurich

We are considering flying from Stockholm to Zurich on a Saturday morning in July and will have 3 nights to spend in Switzerland. It's my husband and I - we are pretty active.

I've heard of a very scenic train ride through the Alps, I've heard Zurich downtown is awesome as well. With 3 nights which cities are recommended in the country? What part of the city to stay for ease in sight seeing? Switzerland is the topic of my list of countries to visit :)

Pune, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Stockholm to Zurich

Hi twosassyk,

Difficult one to answer - most Swiss train journeys are scenic - but some of the most ' scenic ' trains are -

Golden Pass - http://www.goldenpass.ch/

Glacier Express - www.glacierexpress.ch/en/Pages/default.aspx

Bernina Express - http://www.rhb.ch/

Since you have only 3 nights in Switzerland,you could take a look at the above sites and then depending on whether you wish to do one or two scenic trains you can decide on the base to stay ( Since you are interested in staying in Zurich for local sight-seeing - 1 night in Zurich should suffice and the next base will depend on your scenic train choice.)

partners.cnn.com/articles/zurich-what-do-day

Since I have not stayed in Zurich I will not be able to suggest any hotel.

You can also check other train timings and fares on this site -

http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/query.exe/en?

Have fun.

arvind

Edited: 28 February 2012, 11:11
tennessee
Level Contributor
181 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stockholm to Zurich

thank you for your response.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,251 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stockholm to Zurich

Are you returning to Stockholm? You might consider getting an open-jaw ticket and returning from Geneva to ake the most of your time. If you do that, you could spend the first day in Zurich (you can store your bags at the main train station as it is right where you want to be to see the Altstadt (Old Town). Late in the afternoon you could transfer to Chur (about 2 hours by train), spend the night there (less expensive than Zurich) and then catch the Glacier Express for Zermatt the next day. Stay overnight in Zermatt, do a bit in the mountains surrounding Zermatt the next day before heading for Geneva and an evening flight to Stockholm.

Or you could travel to Lucerne later on the first day (aout an hour), spend the next day there seeing a bit of the city and, if it interests you, going on a mountain trip, and take the Golden Pass the next day to Montreux where you could visit Chillon (a wonderful old castle) in the morning and go to Geneva in the afternoon for a flight to Stockholm

I would suggest you get a map, look at the scenic train routes and lengths, spend a bit of time on the Swiss Travel office offical website (below) and see what works best for you. Be sure to make a reservation for any of the scenic trains as they will be in high season

www.myswitzerland.com

Arvind has given you most of the websites you need. You can find links to the Swiss villages and towns on myswitzerland or just put in the villge/town name and .ch as most have a website with that address.

Hope this helps

4. Re: Stockholm to Zurich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2013, 10:19