We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Zurich

Singapore
Level Contributor
13 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Zurich

Hi, I will be arriving from Zurich hbf and would like to know which area I should be staying as I will have a big luggage. From other reviews, it seems that old town is ok, near enough but I will still need to walk a bit through the other side of the lake. My sense of direction is not very accurate though. Any suggestion on the same side of the main station? Thanks for helping.

Best Seller
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,081 Reviews
from US$169.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Jungfraujoch: Top of Europe Day Trip...
1,099 Reviews
from US$259.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Day Trip from Zurich...
392 Reviews
from US$259.70*
bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Zurich

There is good public tram and bus network and it's main hub is at the train station. If you know the bus/tram you have to take and at which stop to get off you should be able find any hotel in the city center without troubles. And in worst case you can still ask people in the streets.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
18,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Zurich

Hi, first, you can get a map online to see where the HB (main station) is located - it is a kilometer or so from the lake. The old town areas are on both sides of the River Limmat and go from about the HB down to the lake. There is a bridge (flat) over the river at the HB so you can walk across. How easy depends on how big and heavy your luggage is! It will be very difficult if you have two large and heavy bags!

As above, many hotels are within maybe 100 meters of a tram stop and the trams are easy to use. Most hotels have the tram stop on their webiste.

Santa Barbara
Level Contributor
663 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Zurich

Tram travel is easy and the last car is best for large luggage however I am trying a new place just one block across the street from the Zurich HB.

It is called the Townhouse Boutique Hotel: http://townhouse.ch/home

It is small and relatively new, I haven't stayed there but the TA reviews seem to be mostly positive. I can vouch for the location as being 3 minutes from the station entrance. If you use a cart to carry your bags through the station you basically just walk across a street and down one short block.

However, transportation is simple and I have never let it stop me from staying in an interesting place no matter where it is this just happens to be a new spot. Oh, you can get a better rate booking on hotels.com or calling reception and asking. They appear to have a liberal upgrade policy.

Singapore
Level Contributor
13 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Zurich

Thank you for all your advice. I have goggled and found Hotel City Zurich and Hotel Continental Zurich and from TA reviews, it was good. I have not decided which to stay as hotel city is nearer to shopping and hotel continental is north of main station. I suppose both are equally near and its just a different direction. Also the rooms in hotel continental are bigger and newer and hotel city is much smaller. Would appreciate feedback.

5. Re: Where to stay in Zurich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2013, 10:18