We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report -- two days in late June

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northern California
Level Contributor
45 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report -- two days in late June

We got a lot of helpful information here, so thought I'd post a trip report with our experiences.

We stayed in a townhouse studio at the Hotel Krone Unterstrass, which worked fine for us though it was on the pricey side -- we like to have a kitchen. Review is here

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g188113-d206…

We arrived via train from Basel. At the train station, we bought Zurich cards and a map, 6 CHF, that had a street index and a little more detail than the map you get for free. I would recommend this map if you want to go exploring. We were glad to have the Zurich cards, we prefer not to have to worry about putting together tram fare and we used the trams a lot. They were very easy to navigate, came frequently -- we just wished they were consistently air conditioned.

Some of our favorite things: we're big fans of the writer James Joyce, so we had a great time at the James Joyce foundation on Augustinergasse, just off Banhofstrasse

http://www.joycefoundation.ch/

Joyce is buried in Fluntern cemetery, easy to get to by taking tram 6 to the end, and a very pleasant, peaceful spot -- nice views from the tram ride, too.

We really enjoyed the 1.5-hour round trip boat ride on the lake that was included in our Zurich cards. Leaves from Berkliplatz.

Most of our meals were from the Migros Take Away on the lower level of the central train station -- we found it because we arrived on a Sunday and not much was open, and it had a nice selection of salads, wraps, hot dishes, etc. Our big (big!) splurge meal was a lunch at Cafe Kronenhalle, on Rämistrasse

http://www.kronenhalle.com/

Elegant, and fabulous food (my husband had a delicious steak and frites, I had amazing veal in cream sauce and potato Rosti, and I'm still thinking about my starter, an avocado filled with tomato vinaigrette, so delicious!).

It was scorching hot while we were there, so we did less wandering around exploring than we usually would, and we were extremely grateful for the air conditioning at the hotel.

Again, thanks for all the helpful tips while we were planning!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,260 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report -- two days in late June

Glad you had such a good time! Zurich isn't on many traveler's lists and it should be - what a great little city!

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report -- two days in late June

I'm glad you had a good time and found out how easy the transport system was to use.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report -- two days in late June

I enjoyed your trip report. Thanks for taking your time to post.

4. Re: Trip report -- two days in late June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 02:17