We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zurich Airport train station

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
brooklyn ny
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Zurich Airport train station

A group of us are arriving in Zurich in the morning from the US on different flights within a few hours of each other. We want to travel together by train from Zurich Airport to Lucerne for a few days. While in Lucerne we want to travel by train to Mt. Pilatus and then the next day to Basel to catch a river cruise. I have a few questions:

Can you recommend an easy "spot" to meet each other either in the airport or the train station?

When purchasing train tickets, if we use the machines and pay with credit cards, do we need a four digit pin in order to complete the purchase? OR If we use ATM's to get cash with our credit card, do we need a four digit code for our credit card.

Should we purchase a point to point train ticket or are their any rail passes we could use? We are arriving in Zurich on Friday and staying in Lucerne until Sunday

France
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zurich Airport train station

At the airport there are "meeting point" under green dots, but I would go to the shopping area and meet in a cafe, you probably need a good coffee or something after a long flight. While waiting you can also buy a picnic lunch at the supermarket to take on the train with you.

zurich-airport.com/desktopdefault.aspx/…

To use credit cards you almost always need a PIN, certainly in unmanned machines. (Most people don't get cash with a credit card because it's very expensive - I guess you mean your regular bank card, which needs the maestro logo and all ATM require a PIN)

Point to point tickets are probably cheapest, but check if a half fare card is worth while - see prices for full price trips on www.rail.ch and in fact you can use that website to plan all your travel times.

Zurich
Level Contributor
250 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zurich Airport train station

I normally meet people at Starbucks (be aware there are like 3 in the airport) between Terminal 1 Departure level and Terminal 2 Departure level (it is right beside the emergency passport office). This area is generally not so crowded and close to restrooms and exits (should there be any smokers among your group).

Regarding the pin in Switzerland both four digits and six digits pins work on machines for credit and Maestro cards.

No idea about the train tickets..

Cheers,

b

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,191 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zurich Airport train station

The easiest place I've found to meet people is the cafe at the far end of the arrivals buildings. If you simply turn right no matter which exit from baggage claim and customs you use, you can walk to the end of the Arrivals 2 hall and the cafe is right there. It's also easy to see anyone in the cafe or approaching the cafe. If any of your friends arrives in the Arrivals 1 hall, they can turn right and go through the doors into the Arrivals 2 building and keep going. It's no more that 4-5 minutes from the farthest possible point to the end of the bujilding where the cafe is.

The shopping mall is directly across the arrivals pick-up drive from the exit doors by the cafe as well. The train station is on the lower level of the shopping mall.

brooklyn ny
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zurich Airport train station

Thank you for all your tips! I appreciate your help,.

brooklyn ny
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zurich Airport train station

Thank you all for your travel tips! I appreciate it.

brooklyn ny
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zurich Airport train station

Thank you for all your tips! I appreciate your help,.

7. Re: Zurich Airport train station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 14:18