We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt Rigi or alternative

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Mt Rigi or alternative

Several years ago we took a day trip from Zurich. We took a train to a small town where we took the cog railway up the mountain, stopped at the resturant up top, took in the views, then took a cable car down to a tiny village where we caught a boat to Lucerne and then took the train back to Zurich. I think it might have been Mt. Rigi but I am not 100percent sure. Tomorrow we would like to do the same or similar trip but I can’t tell if that trip is still possible. It looks like the cable cars are closed for inspection on one of the peaks close to Lucerne. Any suggestions on the route to take or something similar? We loved the train, cable car, boat combo but really open to other suggestions. But as this is the last day of a long trip less walking and more riding is preferable.

6 replies to this topic
St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
333 posts
55 reviews
1. Re: Mt Rigi or alternative

We did Mt. Rigi from Luzern 10-22. Boat from the docks near the train station to Vitznau, cogwheel train up then took the gondola down to Weggis for the boat back to Luzern. From the research we did everything should still be running. Mt. Rigi has a website that specifies the maintenance schedule (I think).

Edited: 30 October 2018, 22:20
Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
2. Re: Mt Rigi or alternative

It sounds to me as if you previously travelled from Zurich to Arth Goldau cog wheel train up to Rigi Kulm then a short ride down and then the cable car down to Weggis and boat to Luzern for your trip back to Zürich. If everything is operating it should be a great trip.

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
3. Re: Mt Rigi or alternative

The Weggis cable car is closed for maintenance from 5 - 17 November so you should be fine.

Canton of Schwyz...
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
17,247 posts
292 reviews
4. Re: Mt Rigi or alternative

Hi p8riotsgurl

Yes, what you mentioned looks like Mt. Rigi - www.rigi.ch/en -. You took the train to Arth-Goldau, the cogwheel train up to Rigi-Kulm, the other cogwheel train down to Vitznau and the boat to Lucerne. This is the roundtrip I like most and it is possible these days. You can find more information about Mt. Rigi on the above link and the Top Questions about Lucerne (Lucerne forum on the TA website).

For instance the peak of Mt. Rigi is clear but the area is cloudy.

Enjoy your excursion

pore

1 post
5. Re: Mt Rigi or alternative

Hi, can I ask if you did do this trip. It sounds like the ideal day trip I'd like to do when visiting in December and would be interested to read how you got on. Thanks

Canton of Schwyz...
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
17,247 posts
292 reviews
6. Re: Mt Rigi or alternative

Tracey C, please ask your questions on your own post by clicking the ASK A QUESTION button on the relative forum.

I visit Mt. Rigi at least once an year as it offers the greatest views in the closer area.

pore

Reply to: Mt Rigi or alternative
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted