We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Pass or not

Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Pass or not

Hi,

Me and my sister are going to visit Switzerland end of March for 4 days. We will arrive in Zurich on a friday late night and leave next tuesday evening from Zurich. She would like to visit Luzern, Bern and Basel however I know it will be too much for us to go all these cities in only 4 days. We definitely want to see Luzern and we would like to decide on Bern or Basel, which would you suggest?

Another thing worries me that we will be there on a sunday and I assume a lot of places will be closed on a sunday like museums etc, am I wrong to think that? What possibly we could do on a sunday in Zurich?

Lastly, I am very much so confused about travel passes and half fares etc. We are both under 26, and ideally we might buy a 3 day swiss pass. However I am thinking on a zurich card for the first day, and online train tickets from Zurich to Luzern, Luzern to Bern and Bern to Zurich in one day. What kind of strategy we should follow to save some money? Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Lucerne
Lucerne
Canton of Lucerne, Switzerland
Bern
Bern
Bern Mittelland District, Switzerland
Basel
Basel
Canton of Basel, Switzerland
Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,060 Reviews
from US$162.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Jungfraujoch: Top of Europe Day Trip...
1,071 Reviews
from US$249.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Day Trip from Zurich...
378 Reviews
from US$249.30*
1 reply
Schindellegi...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Kiev
Level Contributor
4,307 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Pass or not

Museums usually are closed on Mondays - with a few exceptions. So not really a problem when staying a Sunday in Zurich.

Basel has quite a number of great museums, Berne a few. If for arts museums, Basel is probably the better place.

Swiss Travel Pass is also valid for more than 500 museums in Switzerland (most free entrance, a few ticket price reduction only), and also for public transportation in many cities. Do the maths - compare overall cost without and with Swiss Travel Pass - consider also convenience factor for flexibility and not having to buy tickets with STP

Depending on what time you arrive at Zurich airport - I would consider staying in Zurich for the first night. Both Basel and Berne are at an hour by train from Zurich or Lucerne, so easily feasible as a day trip. But you can as well stay at Berne, Basel, Lucerne or some smaller places in the area. Check possible itineraries with www.sbb.ch/en timetable - or https:/…en I prefer for the map at top.

I would try to add some scenic itineraries - for instance Zurich to Lucerne via part of Voralpen-Express (from Rapperswil or Pfäffikon SZ via Arth-Goldau to Lucerne), Lucerne to Berne via Brünig pass (part of Golden Pass Line). Especially in case you would use STP.

As you have no real advantage purchasing STP ahead of time, I would finalise detailed trip only once somehow reliable weather forecast is available - prepare a plan A (for best weather) and a plan B (in case of bad weather)

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Basel
Basel
Canton of Basel, Switzerland
Zurich Airport
Zurich Airport
Zurich, Switzerland
Lucerne
Lucerne