We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montreux to Stresa

Cleveland, Ohio
3 posts
Save Topic
Montreux to Stresa

Greetings,

I have a Swiss Region Pass (Lake Geneva and Alps) and plan to do a day trip to Stresa and return from Montreux. Since I normally can board a train directly in Switzerland (no ticket needed) how will this work going to Stresa? In other words, how do I pay for the Italian portion of the journey both ways, and will I need a reservation?

Thanks in advance for your help.

3 replies to this topic
Schindellegi...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Kiev
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montreux to Stresa

Your Regional Pass Lake Geneva - Alps is valid to Saint-Maurice. See map of validity for instance at myswitzerland.com/en-ch/regional-passes/regi…

So you will need a ticket from Saint-Maurice to Stresa (and return) - ticket you can buy online or at a any railway station counter. Depending on train, seat reservation is required (in Italy bound usually to a ticket for non-regional trains, in Switzerland seldom done and against a fee)

Check www.sbb.ch/en website for online timetable, ticket information and purchase. Trains that require seat reservation are marked "R" in a square. For regional trains no reservation is required (and usually not possible).

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,513 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montreux to Stresa

Not all the EC trains stop at Stresa so check that carefully before planning the trip. Taking a normal train to brig from Montreux and then changing to a train stopping at Stresa might well take you 3 hours each way. Still this can be done.

You cannot get on a train and then travel outside the area of validity of your Lake Geneva Region pass without having a ticket in hand. The conductor will fine you 90frs plus the cost of the ticket. So be sure to get the ticket St Maurice/Stresa and Stresa/St Maurice BEFORE boarding the train in Montreux.

Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Montreux to Stresa

I would expect that if you take the direct EC you will need to buy a ticket Montreux - Stresa (probably cheapest on Trenitalia) as this train does not stop in St. Maurice. But ask in the station. The normal rule for passes on services that leave the area of validity is they are valid till the last stop within the area where the service actually stops.

Reply to: Montreux to Stresa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted