My wife & I are making our 1st-ever trip to Europe, a 3-week hiking vacation (half along the TMB, half in the Bernese Oberland). Our 1st hiking trip meets at Geneva Airport on 6/28. We fly into Zurich on 6/26 (already have tickets). We plan on taking train from Zurich Airport to Montreux area on 6/26, arriving late afternoon. We will have that evening, then 1 full day the next day on 6/27 in the Montreux area before taking train to Geneva airport the morning of 6/28 to meet our group. In our 1 full day, we would like to:
-tour the Castle in the morning
-take a boat ride on the lake
-visit wine country (walk through vineyards, 1 or 2 wine tastings if possible)
Our questions are:
1. Should we stay in Montreux? Or, do you recommend one of the smaller villages?
2. Do you have any mid-price-range hotel recommendations (3 star, CF200 price range or less), prefer an easy walk with luggage from the train station if possible
3. Can all our activities be done in one day if we start early?
4. Is there a way to combine the wine touring with the boat ride?
5. Is there a tour that emcompasses all these activities, or will we be on our own?
6. I am told there is a single wine tasting location that features wines from multiple wineries?
7. Any favorite restaurant recommendations with casual atmosphere, local food?
We are very nervous about international travel for the 1st time, so we probably prefer a location where tourists are common so we can "blend in."
Any suggestions on accommodations and activity specifics/logistics are appreciated!