We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Nights/1 Day in Montreux as Start to 3-Week Hiking Trip

Tampa
Level Contributor
31 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
2 Nights/1 Day in Montreux as Start to 3-Week Hiking Trip

My wife & I are making our 1st-ever trip to Europe, a 3-week hiking vacation (half along the TMB, half in the Bernese Oberland). Our 1st hiking trip meets at Geneva Airport on 6/28. We fly into Zurich on 6/26 (already have tickets). We plan on taking train from Zurich Airport to Montreux area on 6/26, arriving late afternoon. We will have that evening, then 1 full day the next day on 6/27 in the Montreux area before taking train to Geneva airport the morning of 6/28 to meet our group. In our 1 full day, we would like to:

-tour the Castle in the morning

-take a boat ride on the lake

-visit wine country (walk through vineyards, 1 or 2 wine tastings if possible)

Our questions are:

1. Should we stay in Montreux? Or, do you recommend one of the smaller villages?

2. Do you have any mid-price-range hotel recommendations (3 star, CF200 price range or less), prefer an easy walk with luggage from the train station if possible

3. Can all our activities be done in one day if we start early?

4. Is there a way to combine the wine touring with the boat ride?

5. Is there a tour that emcompasses all these activities, or will we be on our own?

6. I am told there is a single wine tasting location that features wines from multiple wineries?

7. Any favorite restaurant recommendations with casual atmosphere, local food?

We are very nervous about international travel for the 1st time, so we probably prefer a location where tourists are common so we can "blend in."

Any suggestions on accommodations and activity specifics/logistics are appreciated!

8 replies to this topic
Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
14,814 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Nights/1 Day in Montreux as Start to 3-Week Hiking Trip

Hi OutdoorTraveler

Sorry, your post got nearly lost. I try to answer the questions as good as I can

1. Montreux and nearby Vevey are centrally located excellent bases for the area. I like to go to Chardonne when I am in the area. There is a great BnB with beautiful views and great hosts - http://www.bibiane-rene.ch/index.php?lang=en -.

2. You can find all accommodation in the area on www.montreux-vevey.com and more information about the area on the Top Questions about Montreux (TA Montreux forum).

3. See www.wanderland.ch/en

4. There are different options. Just walk down to the lake at any town and take the next train - see www.sbb.ch/en -

5. Sorry, maybe someone else knows

6. see 5

7. We love Charlie at Vevey. I am sure there are more

Happy planning and be relaxed, travelling in Switzerland is dead easy.

pore

p6

Edited: 06 March 2017, 09:43
Lausanne...
Level Contributor
115 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Nights/1 Day in Montreux as Start to 3-Week Hiking Trip

Hello

Yes I think it is doable in one day. For the wine tasting there is the Vinorama (http://www.lavaux-vinorama.ch/) which groups wine from Lavaux. It's in Rivaz which is accessible by train or by boat so you have to check but you can imagine to come by train and then leave by boat for a short trip to Montreux.

Tampa
Level Contributor
31 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Nights/1 Day in Montreux as Start to 3-Week Hiking Trip

Thank you for the information.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,630 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Nights/1 Day in Montreux as Start to 3-Week Hiking Trip

When in the Montreux area do not miss a visit to Chaplin's World. it is a sensational place, located in his old home. And extremely interesting and well done. Bus from the Vevey station gets you there in 10mins or so

Charly's in Vevey - I used to love this place but was there on Sunday and was very disappointed. Menu has changed. Service not great. Take a look at the Hostellerie de Genève on the place du Marché instead OR if you go to Rivaz to the Vinorama, walk to St Saphorin along the lake and eat at the Café du Raisin. Reservations an absolute essential!

For a day trip: Start with Chillon and get the Audio guide. Plan on 90 mins at least there. Then take the local train to Rivaz. Go to the Vinorama. Walk to St Saphorin. Lunch at the Café du Raisin (not Mondays...) And take the boat from there to Vevey. Bus to Chaplin's World, back to the Vevey station and back to Montreux. Lots to see and do but - possible in a day

Tampa
Level Contributor
31 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 Nights/1 Day in Montreux as Start to 3-Week Hiking Trip

Thank you, Hambagahle, for you always helpful information!

If we want to spend more time on the water and skip Chaplin's World, can we simply take the boat back from St Saphorin to Montreux, perhaps with a stop in Vevey? (I know you love Chaplin's World, but we are not "museum people" and it may be less of a priority for us).

Or, could be take a mid morning boat from Chillon to Rivaz (or as close as the boat goes), then go the Vinorama, then walk to St Saphorin, and have dinner (instead of lunch) at Café du Raisin? Then we could take the train back to Montreux?

What are the typical popular dinner times in Switzerland? (In the US, people will start as early as 5 or 6, but I am told that in Europe this is too early?).

In terms of Montreux, we are leaning toward staying at Eurotel because it is rated #3 on Trip Advisor and the Eden Palace has fallen to #12 rated on Trip Advisor. Prices are similar.

Thank you again for your excellent ideas.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,630 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 Nights/1 Day in Montreux as Start to 3-Week Hiking Trip

People who say they do not care for museums probably associate museums with being full of ancient objects and very dusty places. Boring in fact. The new "breed" of museums is far far from that. Chaplin's World is a prime example but so is Ballenberg and the Transport Museum at Luzern. Worth trying at least once I think! In fact these sorts of places shouldn't be termed museums - more like inter-active experiences!

Anyway - the boat that makes the stops at the small Lavaux villages is one that comes from Lausanne to Montreux. You can get the schedule on www.cgn.ch I suggest that you might - since time is limited - want to take the train to Rivaz, and after lunch at St Saphorin boat back to Montreux.

In Switzerland we eat our main meal at lunchtime. Which for most of us is 1200. Then in the evening we eat a light supper - around 1830/1900 generally though this varies. This is why many restaurants offer daily specials at lunch time. "Plat du Jour" in French and "Tagesteller in German" Those are great value. You can often find a 2 or even 3 course menu for around 20-25frs. In tourist places like Montreux you will find restaurants open until quite late. In other places it is quite usual for them to stop serving hot food around 2100 and also not to serve hot food between 1400 and 1830.

Eurotel is OK - bit "modern" in a not so attractive way. Eden is one of the old "palace" style hotels but if review lately are not so great then go elsewhere. have you looked at the Suisse Majestic?

Tampa
Level Contributor
31 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 Nights/1 Day in Montreux as Start to 3-Week Hiking Trip

I did check the Suisse Majestic, it looks wonderful, but rates are well over CHF325 for anything with lake view. I guess since you are the Swiss travel expert, and I am just a nervous 1st-time visitor, then I should start following more of your suggestions!

I will re-look at the Eden since you are right it has a much more local and historical feel to it than the Eurotel, and its actually a bit less money. And, if we request and pay for a lake view, how bad could it possibly be, right?!

Is it worth including breakfast (approx. CHF20 per person per day)? Or, would you suggest just having a light breakfast at a local place and save our bigger meal for lunch?

I will definitely arrange to have lunch at Café du Raisin, it sounds great. I will see if I can make a reservation through their website. Would you suggest around 13:00?

I guess if we run short on time after our visit to Chillon, we can have lunch at Café du Raisin 1st and visit the Vinorama later in the afternoon?. And, could still take the boat one way and the train the other way.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,630 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 Nights/1 Day in Montreux as Start to 3-Week Hiking Trip

As I said I have not stayed at the Eden myself but I have been in the rooms when a friend stayed there. The views over the lake and to the mountains are amazing. But it is not the only lakefront hotel in Montreux as you have discovered. If you do opt for the Eden please do write a review of it for TA. However the Eden is above the price range you stated in your first post... and if you want a lakefront room in the hotel you will be way above the 200frs/night.

Whether to include the hotel breakfast or not? Personally I hate having to go out to a café for breakfast and I would include it. But for a hotel 20frs additional is on the low side here and it raises questions with me as to how the breakfast buffet is... You can get a coffee and croissant at Zurcher (Montreux's best baker/patissier) on the main road for around 5frs - a bit more if you want juice, butter etc etc - and that might be a good substitute. www.confiserie-zurcher.ch We eat our main meal at lunchtime here and you will find all sorts of places with plats du jour in Montreux. (Zurcher included... see the website)

For the Café du Raisin - most Swiss eat at 1200. So if you make a reservation for 1300 that should be fine but I think they will stop serving hot food around 1400 or 1430. Don't be late! And certainly going to the Vinorama after lunch doesn't change anything.

Reply to: 2 Nights/1 Day in Montreux as Start to 3-Week Hiking Trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted