We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving around Lake Geneva

CA
Level Contributor
76 posts
Driving around Lake Geneva

Hello,

I have not thought about driving in this region until I find an apartment in St-Prex.

I would like to drive along Lake Geneva following the old post I found.

https:/…ShowTopic-g188107-i922-k4320245

Can some one kindly advice if driving is relative easy in this region on local road #1 and parking is possible in small towns along the lake. What is the average speed limit on #1.

Thanks so much for your help.

2 replies to this topic
CA
Level Contributor
76 posts
1. Re: Driving around Lake Geneva

My travel date is Sept 16 - Sept 22, 2018. Thanks.

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
43,171 posts
201 reviews
2. Re: Driving around Lake Geneva

That was my post - and I subsequently wrote a Traveller Article on driving around the Léman. (First lesson! the lake, in Geneva itself, is called "lac de Genève" - for the rest, canton of Vaud, Valais and France it is called le Léman.) Here is a link to the article:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…31921442

St Prex is a particularly beautiful small village on the lake - at least the lakefront area in St Prex is. Once you get away from the lake it gets rather suburban!

To answer your questions:

1. Driving on all the local roads around the lake is very easy and flat. No mountains nor hairpin bends to worry about. You DO have to worry - a lot - about speed cameras!

2. Parking is possible in the towns and villages. Cost will be around 20-30frs/24 hours. Some lots are limited to short term parking so be careful where you leave the car overnight.

3. Speed limits vary. The TOP speed limit on "normal" - i.e. not autoroute - roads in Switzerland and in France is 80km/hr. Inside localities it is usually 50km/hr but this can drop to 30km/hr and even to 20. In which case it is signposted. In France the name sign of the town or village is an automatic warning in itself that you have to limit speed to 50km/hr. Not so in Switzerland where you need to look for the limit signs.

Do yourself a favour! Read the section on Driving in Switzerland - link on the RH tool bar of the main Switzerland forum page. Our traffic laws are different from France and other European countries. And are strictly enforced with high fines. You must drive with lights on at all times here. Not so in France.

Reply to: Driving around Lake Geneva
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted