We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour of Swiss Farms or other Agri-tourism

Which Zermatt hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Barre, Vermont
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tour of Swiss Farms or other Agri-tourism

My wife and I are staying 2 nights in Zermatt during May 29-30, 2014 timeframe. Then taking "Glacier Express" to St Moritz. We are wondering if Switzerland in general (and Zermatt area, in particular), provides tours of working Swiss farms or other agri-tourism sites? Thanks.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,080 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour of Swiss Farms or other Agri-tourism

Hi and welcome to Trip Advisor! The Swiss Tourism office website - in English - has some farm stuff listed. Just do a search in the search window at the upper right - I tried farm tours and got a long list of stuff.

www.myswitzerland.com

Remember that all contact with farms and farm animals should be reported on your landing card when you return to the US. If there is any report of disease or other problems on farms in the region you visited, they will likely stop you upon entry to discuss what you did and where you did it. When there was an outbreak of, I think , mad cow in the UK, I heard they were confiscating all shoes that might have soil from farms in the UK. I have no idea if this is a good thing but wanted you to know. I have not heard of any problems on Swiss farms.

In Zermatt there are no working farms per se. There are still small herds that are in the Alpine meadows in the summer etc.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 28 February 2014, 19:06
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
55 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour of Swiss Farms or other Agri-tourism

There used to be organized tours of the local cheese maker (Horu) which was fascinating. The Zermatt tourism site should have details. And given the sanitary conditions necessary for making cheese no worries on the landing card.

Barre, Vermont
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour of Swiss Farms or other Agri-tourism

Thank you so much. On the Swiss Tourism site, there are several farm tours/overnights in Switzerland outside the Zermatt area but not around Zermatt. However, it appears that a local cheese plant offers tours of their facility and we are looking into that. Call it connecting somewhat with the non-tourist population.Trip-Advisor, what a great site for sharing experiences.

New Haven...
Level Contributor
193 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour of Swiss Farms or other Agri-tourism

The Hotel Julen in Zermatt now includes a visit to the family sheep farm when you book a room. It's a wonderful, family run hotel. The Julen family has lived in Zermatt for generations. Mr. Julen is very proud of his sheep and I'm looking forward to a tour of the farm next time we're in Zermatt.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,080 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour of Swiss Farms or other Agri-tourism

What fun! I wonder if the Julen's would allow others to join the tour.

New Haven...
Level Contributor
193 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour of Swiss Farms or other Agri-tourism

I'll try to remember to ask and report back.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,080 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour of Swiss Farms or other Agri-tourism

Thanks! I would appreciate knowing.

8. Re: Tour of Swiss Farms or other Agri-tourism

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2015, 05:19