We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Climbing Breithorn in Early October

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Climbing Breithorn in Early October

I will be in the Zermatt area on business from USA the first week in October. I will have a few days off, and am considering an opportunity to climb Breithorn.

I contacted a local mountain guide outift, and they indicated it is just off-season and there may or may not be an opportunity to join a group when I am there. And to call them a couple of days before to confirm weather and if I can get a guided climb.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here knows Breithorn, and their thoughts on climbing it at this time of the year.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,298 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Climbing Breithorn in Early October

I think the local mountain guides are the best source of information because they know the situation better than anyone. You might try contacting the mountaineering center in Zermatt. The Zermatt website has lots of contacts and other information.

www.zermatt.ch

Hope this helps.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,275 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Climbing Breithorn in Early October

Have you done any hgh mountain climbing before? And what about equipment (boots, clothes etc - not usually taken on a business trip!!) I ask about the experience because the Breithorn is high and though not in itself a hard climb the altitude can be difficult for those not used to it.

Anyway you are on the right track. Get a licensed Swiss mountain guide from Zermatt. They know the conditions best. Be honest with them about your experience and capabilities. And then if all works out - enjoy the climb!!

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
533 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Climbing Breithorn in Early October

Breithorn was my first 4000m summit. I'm no climber, but it is not a difficult climb from the Klein Matterhorn cable station, but exposed. You will need crampons and an ice axe I would say. That said, when I went up, there were families allowing their children to go unroped and wearing trainers. That is not just mad, it's criminal.

It will all depend on the weather as the guide office told you. On a clear October day it could be magnificent. In bad weather just don't go near.

If you look at 'Climbing the Breithorn' on YouTube, there is a 9 minute video which gives you some idea of the route.

4. Re: Climbing Breithorn in Early October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 03:15