We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wengen in early may

Which Wengen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Prince Edward...
Level Contributor
113 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
wengen in early may

family going between may 09 and may 15 will there be any problem finding a hotel room?thanks

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,037 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wengen in early may

maybe

where

s

Prince Edward...
Level Contributor
113 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wengen in early may

sorry,going to wengen

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,235 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wengen in early may

I think it will be hard to find a hotel open...most ski resort hotels close at the end of April and do not re-open till the end of June. If you have a problem try staying in Lauterbrunnen (at the bottom of the valley) instead.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,037 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wengen in early may

Oh dear! I have to apologize -- I didn't realize this was in the Wengen forum. I'm so sorry!

I just tried your dates at this site

www.myjungfrau.ch

where you can look for accommodations at Grindelwald, Wengen, Mürren, and Lauterbrunnen at one time. Only one hotel came up for Wengen, the Alpenruhe, appartnely seven minutes' walk to the village.

There were lots of hotels in Grindelwald, though. And since Grindelwald sits a little higher than Lauterbrunnen, I would probably go there.

Good luck!

s

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,925 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wengen in early may

I think I'd vote for Lauterbrunnen in this case. It's a smaller village, less traffic and this year being at slightly lower altitude may be an advantage in early May. With the heavy amount of snow that has acculated this year the higher villages might still be in the slush stage at the first of May. Not quite as much fun. And Lauterbrunnen is a lovely village.

Just a thought.

Prince Edward...
Level Contributor
113 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: wengen in early may

thanks for your help everybody

Boston...
Level Contributor
46 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wengen in early may

May is the time when many moustain transport systems shut down for maintenance between the ski season and the hiking season. That said, the entire Jungfrau region stays open for most of this period simpy because it is such a high volume tourist area

To me, staying in Lauterbrunnen at the time of year is the best choice. That is the time of the year when the waterfalls falling into the Lauterbrunnen Valley will be running at highest volume. The valley is spectacular....almost like a mini Yosemite valley with Swiss charm. Although it won't be as sunny as Wengen or Mürren, to me it is the best choice...and makes it easier to go up to either peak (Schilthorn or Jungfrau).

Chris

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,925 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: wengen in early may

And if you decide on Lauterbrunnen I know the Hotel Oberland is open. Not sure of availability but they are open and it's my choice for the place to stay in Lauterbrunnen.

England
Level Contributor
4 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: wengen in early may

... and of course if you do not necessarily want a hotel there are many excellent privately owned chalets offering better value and superb facilities. I would go for Grindelwald having a bit more life in it in May and I could recommend most of the hotels (budget does not always equate to quality and service - but always high) and could recommend excellent chalet in Grindelwald

Chris

Prince Edward...
Level Contributor
113 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: wengen in early may

we would really like to stay in wengen or lauterbrunnen if possible as we stayed in grindelwald two years ago.having said that a chalet there does sound very nice.would there be a web site or listings of private chalets for this area ?or any recommendations, we only need a place to shower and sleep [but a view would be nice too]nothing fancy.thanks

Get answers to your questions about Wengen