We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather - Mid-June

Billings, Montana
Level Contributor
258 posts
183 reviews
Save Topic
Weather - Mid-June

Will enough snow have melted to safely do the Via Ferrata in mid-June? Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Via Ferrata
Via Ferrata
105 Reviews
Murren, Switzerland
California
Level Contributor
475 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather - Mid-June

Maybe. No one can answer for sure as it depends on the weather conditions at the time, including the amount of snow and ambient air temperature. But mid-June is roughly when it may open. You can ask the local tourist office as mid-June approaches and they may be able to tell you when it opens. See here:

myswitzerland.com/en-us/via-ferrata-in-switz…

It's a level K3, relatively difficult, so make sure you have experience as an alpinist and you MUST have the right equipment. Or rent equipment and go with a guide. You can only do the zip line with a guide.

Billings, Montana
Level Contributor
258 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather - Mid-June

Thanks for the weather info. I have experience on this via ferrata, just never so early in the summer.

This will be the first time taking my little kids to Europe (Grandma will babysit). I hope to take my wife on this via ferrata as well as the ones in Zermatt. I'm trying to pack light as we'll have enough stuff with the kids. Is there a place to rent the gear near Murren/Interlaken and Zermatt and not use a guide? Maybe the rental prices will be so high that I'm better off to lug over the necessary gear?

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Zermatt
Zermatt
Canton of Valais, Switzerland
Murren
Murren
Jungfrau Region, Switzerland
Interlaken
Interlaken
Bernese Oberland, Switzerland
Turner, Maine
Level Contributor
564 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather - Mid-June

We did the Via Ferrata a couple of years ago. We got very lucky in that our last day in Murren was the first day it opened, which was as I recall June 29. But not due to snow, rather bird nesting. Anyway, coolest thing we've ever done. Hope you get to try it.

Mentioned in this post
Via Ferrata
Via Ferrata
105 Reviews
Murren, Switzerland
Murren
Murren
Turner, Maine
Level Contributor
564 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather - Mid-June

Oh yeah, the gear. There is a place in Murren to rent gear. It was not outrageous. Helmet, harness and boots required. Gloves STRONGLY recommended. Guides are available for hire, but we did not have one. Apparently there is a zip line across one stream/gorge that you can do with the guide. If on your own you take a three wire bridge.

Edited: 30 November 2016, 12:22
Mentioned in this post
Murren
Murren
Ho Ho Kus, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather - Mid-June

Hoping I can ask I question on this thread as well as I'm also planning a trip for mid June next year. Can someone comment if the various trails in the area will be open? Will they be free of snow? Slushy? Any advice would be appreciated. I'm flexible on dates but was hoping to go in mid to late June to beat the crowds.

Turner, Maine
Level Contributor
564 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather - Mid-June

lynchjs245, when we were there in 2014, mid June, there was no snow in Murren. Hiking was mostly dry. I can't imagine trail closures will be an issue.

Mentioned in this post
Murren
Murren
7. Re: Weather - Mid-June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2017, 05:15