We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which place is better for ski beginer?

6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which place is better for ski beginer?

Hi,

I am planning a trip to Switzerland this Christmas. This is our first visit to Switzerland and we want to find a place where both have great view and suitable for leaning skiing. There are so many choices and I am quite confused, Murren, Wengen, Grindwald, Lauterbrunnen.... which place do you think is better for us? Thanks very much

1. Re: Which place is better for ski beginer?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2016, 08:18
Edited: 10 October 2016, 08:18
2. Re: Which place is better for ski beginer?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2016, 08:18
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
10,141 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which place is better for ski beginer?

Lauterbrunnen has no direct access to the ski slopes so I wouldn't stay there. You would need to travel to Murren, Grindelwald or Wengen and this all takes time.

Edited: 28 September 2016, 17:39
Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
42,722 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which place is better for ski beginer?

Wengen has beginner slopes that start right from the village. That is a distinct advantage. Whatever you do, enroll in ski school. A week of ski lessons every morning or afternoon will get you feeling comfortable on skis.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which place is better for ski beginer?

I agree with Hambagahle. Wengen has both the great views and a beginner ski slope right in the middle of the village. Plus the bigger slopes are a short and scenic ride up to the Mannlichen or Kleine Scheidegg.

6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Which place is better for ski beginer?

Hi Hambagahle & mountaintopper,

Thank you so much for your answer, two more questions, do the beginner slopes you mentioned in Wengen need a ski pass, and is the view in Wengen better than Murren in Winter?

Thank you so much!

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
42,722 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which place is better for ski beginer?

Mountaintopper or Kimsanjose can probably answer the question about need for ski pass or not. Normally if you have to take any lift - even the "moving carpet" which beginners use - you need some kind of a ski pass. I have not skied in Wengen for a long time and even when I did ski above it, I was based in Grindelwald...

As for the views - the view from Mürren across the valley to the Jungfrau range of mountains is superb. Views from Wengen are nice. But not like the ones from Mürren. However if you are beginning skiers I think you would be better off in Wengen.

Hampshire
Level Contributor
47 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which place is better for ski beginer?

I agree with Hambagahle with regard to the views. Murrens view is superb, but Wengen has better beginners skiing.

The figeller, which is the beginners slope in the centre of Wengen, operates a sort of simple pass system where you buy a card which gives you 10 rides up the rope pulls for 20chf if I remember rightly. Having said that the lift operators were never overly zealous in stamping the card ... Think mine lasted several days before moving onto the Männlichen or Kleine Scheidegg runs.

Great instructors at the Wengen ski school too.

We stay in Lauterbrunnen (actually the profile pic is the apartment we stay in!) which is a good base for both Wengen and Murren although as its right in the bottom of the valley either village is 20-30 mins away. However its a good base if you plan to do both.

Edited: 09 October 2016, 20:32
9. Re: Which place is better for ski beginer?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 11 October 2017, 05:15