We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October in Murren

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
61 posts
71 reviews
October in Murren

Hi all! We are planning a trip to Murren from 4-8 October 2016. Our flight arrives to Zurich airport at 10.20 in the morning. I am thinking about staying all the days in Murren, because I don't want to use a car or to move a lot. We will have our 4,5 y.o. son with us. So, the question is: what do you suggest for our trip? We want to make easy hikes, so as not to trouble our toddler. Can you suggest a program? Also, is there any doctor or hospital in Murren, just in case of emergency? What time do the restaurants close for dinner? Any idea of the weather on the first week of October? I read in a forum that some sights or cable cars close in October, is it true?

Best regards from Athens

Argyro

9 posts
1. Re: October in Murren

Murren is a great town. There are many easier (and toddler friendly) hikes to do, as well as other outdoor activities. I stopped in Murren Zurich, so I was only there for a day, but I loved Bergrestaurant Winteregg, a restaurant that's not so expensive and serves traditional Swiss meals. I can't remember what time restaurants close/if there's a hospital nearby, but as far as the weather, it can be rainy, so definitely be prepared to brave the rain, and bring extra layers as it can be chilly at night. I'd think about using an online planner because it's hard to wing it when you're not just traveling with one other person. Routeperfect worked well for me in the past.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
61 posts
71 reviews
2. Re: October in Murren

Thank u for your reply! Which online planner you use and you trust more?

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
3. Re: October in Murren

Hi there

October is a little out of season for Murren, the majority of hotels will be closed. Grindelwald, being a larger village, could be a better choice. However, all cable cars etc. will be still be open (some do close later in October).

You can't predict the weather with any confidence. However, early October may still be a pleasant time to go. You should bring layers as suggested above.

You can't really expect a village to have it's own hospital. No doubt the hotel can find you a doctor in an emergency. The EHIC card works in Switzerland, though you should have medical insurance of course.

The Winteregg restaurant is a half hour walk from Murren (or a short train ride). It's a useful stop if doing the easy one hour walk from Murren to Grutslap.

You are right not to bother with a car. It's about a 3 hour train (and cable car) journey from Zurich airport. Check the times on sbb.ch.

Have a great time.

London
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: October in Murren

I would suggest Lauterbrunnen for early October, in the valley below Muerren. Much cosier than Grindelwald and you can easily go up to Muerren - choose your time with nice weather. The area is idyllic for toddlers, plenty of easy walks, playgrounds. I recommend a trip to the Ballenberg Open Air museum on Lake Brienz http://www.ballenberg.ch/en/visiting/ Great for kids and grown-ups alike.

Doctors/ medical treatment in Switzerland generally excellent. I once had an accident in Wengen and got excellent treatment - no experience of other villages in the area, but expect it's the same.

At its best, the weather in the first week can be glorious, golden larch trees, etc, but still I think better staying in the valley then.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
61 posts
71 reviews
5. Re: October in Murren

Many useful info! Is tap water drinkable at these villages?Any suggestions about good and affordable restaurants?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: October in Murren

The other posters are correct in that many of hotels close during October - November. Since a lot of the restaurants in town are associated with hotels, your dining options may be limited. Do expect to pay "mountain" prices for food with most meals starting around 20 francs. If the restaurant is still open, try the one in Hotel Alpineblick. We ate there twice a few weeks ago and thought it was the best in the village. Murren doesn't have a doctor present except during the ski season.

As far as tap water, it's like drinking Evian water so don't worry about. Most villages will have flowing taps/fountains that you can used to refill your bottles.

For routes, use this guide. The yellow trails are doable with kids. I would suggest taking the cable car up to Allmendhubel (playground) and hiking the flower or mountain view trail. Hopefully the weather holds upfor you.

schilthorn.ch/cmsfiles/sommerguide2016.pdf

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
645 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: October in Murren

If you will be staying in Mürren, you should plan to do the easy walk from Grütschalp to Mürren, as previously suggested. You could go the reverse way, but the view is better going towards Mürren. And definitely plan to stop at Winteregg for lunch. The food is very good, although I would not say it is a great deal. For the most part, the prices are comparable to other Swiss mountain village restaurants. There is also a decent size playground right at the restaurant that your 4.5 year old will love. There is some climbing equipment, slide, bear cave, sand box, small merry go round, hammock swing and several other fun things to play on. If the dairy next door to the Winteregg restaurant is open, the fresh yogurt is excellent!

You should also plan to take the funicular up to Allmendhubel from Mürren to go to the Flower Park playground. It is one of the all-time best playgrounds in the region! Maybe in the world! :) There are so many great things to play on at this park. There is also a restaurant right next to the park that has a great deck for sitting and eating/drinking as you watch your little one play. From Allmendhubel you can take one of several hiking routes back down to Mürren or take the funicular back down.

The walk from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg is a nice easy walk that you could do with your son.

If you plan to make your way over to Grindelwald one of the days, you should take the gondola up to Bort for another amazing playground visit. Both the food stand and restaurant at Bort have very good food. From Bort you could continue on up to First and walk from First to Bachalpsee. There is a restaurant at First, but also a self-serve cafe where you can get food to take with you.

If you plan to be up near Kleine Scheidegg, the Eigernordwand restaurant is good and has a small play area for your son to play. The bratwurst and rösti at Kleine Scheidegg are very good too.

The weather can be hard to predict, but you should plan for cooler nights and any and all weather during the day. Be sure to bring a fleece, some sort of shell/jacket and bring rain gear as well. It's always smart to have layers that you can add or take off as the weather changes.

If you happen to decide that Mürren might be too quiet for you, Wengen might be a good alternative. Wengen is a bit larger than Mürren and has more amenities. There will still be quite a few hotels and restaurants open in early October. You can access anywhere in the region relatively easily from Wengen, but no matter which village you stay in, there is inevitably a fair amount of train/cable car travel necessary to visit the neighboring villages in the region.

Edited: 08 September 2016, 05:56
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
61 posts
71 reviews
8. Re: October in Murren

So many useful info!! Thank you all!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
61 posts
71 reviews
9. Re: October in Murren

One more queston please. I am a bit confused, should I buy a Half-Fare travelcard, or another travel card? We will be me, my husband and our almost 5 y.o. son. We will move around by train or cable cars. What is it better so as to save money from train tickets (and maybe not worry about going to the cashier)?

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
645 posts
11 reviews
10. Re: October in Murren

Hello! Your trip is almost here... So exciting! You previously mentioned that you don't want to move around a lot once you're in Mürren. Do you by chance have a potential itinerary of your days planned yet or do you just plan to take it day by day? The best way to determine if a pass might work for you, is to price out each trip you plan to make each day. Keep in mind that since your son is under 6 years old, he will travel with you free on all legs of your journey whether you have a HFC or not. It's really best to price out your trip and compare the finals costs under each pass scenario.

Edited: 18 September 2016, 14:41