We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Murren

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
95 posts
11 reviews
Day trip to Murren

Hi- Am planning a day trip to Murren in the month of June. I would be staying at Wilderwil.

I would be travelling with a 6 year old. This is what I have planned. Can you please suggest if this seems doable. I wasn't to keep it fun but easy.. so that my 6 year old can enjoy !

Reach Murren by train from Wilderswil

Stroll around Murren

Go up schilthorn and have a meal

Take the stroll from Murren to Gimmelwald

Take the train back to Wilderwil.

Please feel free to share any other walking suggestions from /around Murren. Thanks !!

California
Level Contributor
553 posts
80 reviews
1. Re: Day trip to Murren

Read your responses on your other threads.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
95 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: Day trip to Murren

Hi Terre. Thanks for your response.

I read responses to my other threads but could not get a sense on how best to spend a day at Murren. You have suggested me not to do the walking trail I had written. Anything else you would recommend in Murren ?

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
645 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Day trip to Murren

Your 6 year old would absolutely love the amazing playground (Flower Park) up at Allmendhubel. You can take the funicular to Allmendhubel from Mürren. There is also the option of hiking back down to Mürren from Allmendhubel, but I know you have mentioned wanting to visit several other areas on your day trip, so you will have to prioritize what is most important for you to see and do.

Edited: 16 April 2017, 06:00
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
95 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: Day trip to Murren

Hey Thanks Mercury. This is helpful.

For now, basis your other suggestion , I have planned the following for my day trip to Murren

1. Reach Murren in morning

2. Walk around the town

3. Walk towards Grimmelwald after lunch (30 mins)

4. At Grimmelwald- Take the Schilthornbahn cable car and take it down to Stechelberg

5. From Stechelberg- Walk to Trümmelbach falls (closes at 5 pm)- 30 mins walk

This seems to be doable.. and we can always catch a bus if the kid is too tired.

Let me explore this play ground also which you recommended. Thanks again ! Your inputs are making it easier for me !

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
20 reviews
5. Re: Day trip to Murren

My suggestion is to take train from Wilderswil to Lauterbrunnen.

Then go across the road to take cable car to Murren.

At Murren switch to cable car which takes you up to Schilthorn. Before doing this make sure you check the weather at Schilthorn. If there is fog or if it is very cloudy there is no point in going up to Schilthorn.

The TI or the ticket office will have a weather cam & can advise you.

At Schilthorn you will get a panoramic view of the mountains there & this is one of the best viewing points in the Bernese Oberland - not to be missed. There is a 007 Bond exhibit & a revolving restaurant.

Take cable car from Schilthorn down to Stechelberg.

From Stechelberg take bus to Trummelbach Falls.

From Trummelbach Falls walk to Lauterbrunnen.

The majestic Staubach Falls are on your left hand side. Slow Walk will be around 30-40 minutes as you are with a 6 yr old.

From Lauterbrunnen take train back to Wilderswil.

Suggest you start early say 8am from Wilderswil so that you can see everything & also rest.

This will be a full day trip.

If you are too tired you won't enjoy the sights.

The walk from Murren to Gimmelwald can be skipped. It may be a bit hard for a 6 year old.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
95 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: Day trip to Murren

Thanks a lot Parsi ! This is helpful indeed.

One quick question - Whats the key difference between the following trails :

Murren to Gimmelwald

Trummelbach Falls walk to Lauterbrunnen

Are they both equally scenic ?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
20 reviews
7. Re: Day trip to Murren

Murren to Gimmelwald is down the mountain. You will get the same view from the cable car. You are not missing much other than the experience of walking down the mountain.

Lauterbrunnen is in a valley & the falls are on the valley floor.

Both are scenic & the views are totally different.

The entire region has got a lot of good views so just go with the flow & enjoy.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
95 posts
11 reviews
8. Re: Day trip to Murren

Thanks a lot Parsi. This is indeed helpful. Let me try to chose between the two ; it seems a tough choice. Thanks again !!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
20 reviews
9. Re: Day trip to Murren

If by choice you mean walking down from Murren to Gimmelwald I would not advise with a 6 year old.

Also do not be under the impression that walking down is as easy as it sounds. It can be very hard on the knees especially if you have a prior knee problem.

If you go with the suggested route you will see a lot.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
95 posts
11 reviews
10. Re: Day trip to Murren

Thanks Parsi for your guidance again.

Basis your suggestion, I looked reviews of Lauterbrunnen and fell in love with it. I would rather do the trek suggested by you and skip the one I planned initially.

Am now also planning to spend a day exploring Lauterbrunnen as am very fond of valley villages ; the rivers, the greenery.

Am thinking of simply going to Lauterbrunnen Village and spending a day walking around and exploring it. Any suggestions on that; Are there any particular trails to look for or can I simply walk around . Let me know . THANKS AGAIN !!