We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Zurich etc

Virginia
Level Contributor
505 posts
31 reviews
Travel from Zurich etc

I will be traveling with my husband and 4 yr old daughter in June. We land in Zurich after red eye from the US at 8 am, and would like to travel to Murren (or possibly Gimmelwald) the same day. I would be so grateful for your thoughts...

- given our arrival time and traveling with 4 yr old, do you have any suggestion for best travel strategy to get to Murren

-any thoughts on staying in Murren vs Gimmelwald with our 4 yr old?

We only plan to stay 2 nights and then move to Lucern for 4 nights, and then on to Bavaria for castles and hopefully luge via Lichtenstein (yes, my husband is determined that we make a stop there). Then 3 nights in Munich and onto a Danube river cruise departing Regensburg. If you have thoughts about any of this larger plan, I'd be grateful for feedback. I would love to travel via train/bus for all of it, but we wonder if we should get a car for some portion.

Thank you for any advice!!

Virginia
Level Contributor
505 posts
31 reviews
1. Re: Travel from Zurich etc

And, in case additional detail is helpful to some kind soul who is willing to provide advice, here is the larger plan:

1. Day 1: arrive 8 AM in Zurich and go straight to Gimmelwald or Murren. Two nights. On arrival, rest or explore town

2. Day 2 in mountains – Schilthorn

3. Day 3—leave for Lucerne, arriving by lunch time. 4 nights there. On arrival check out local Lucerne stuff (e.g., old town)

4. Day 4—all day trip to Bern

5. Day 5 still in Lucerne - Mt. Pilatus and boat ride on the lake

6. Day 6 still in greater Lucerne - Half day visiting Zurich? Maybe transportation museum.

7. Day 7 – moving out of Lucerne to Bavaria (castle area). stop in Liechtenstein for lunch, hike up to castle. check into hotel close to big castle (e.g., in Fussen). And possibly visit that castle if easy, or another castle, or luge.

8. Day 8—check out of little German town hotel. visit big castle. If we did that the previous, hit another castle or even go to Innsbrook if unexpected time.

9. Day 9 in greater Munich. Day trip to Nuremberg

10. Day 10 Munich. rest, explore local stuff

11. Day 11 : board boat in Regensburg

Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
9,075 posts
1 review
2. Re: Travel from Zurich etc

The best strategy for getting somewhere is to take what gets you there...

In the case of Switzerland: www.sbb.ch will show you the schedule for the trains and other means of transport you need to use to get to pretty much any address in Switzerland. So use that. Transport wise think of Switzerland as just a big city with a very good mass transit network.

You may want to investigate either getting a Swiss Half Fare Card, or a Swiss Travel Pass. Both can be had at the airport. Information on these passes you can find on www.swisstravelsystem.com

To get to the Bavarian castles via liechtenstein will be a bit involved. But is doable.

First you need to get to "Vaduz". So use www.sbb.ch to plan Luzern - Vaduz. This will be train to Sargans, and bus from there.

Then to get to Füssen, again use www.sbb.ch to figure that out for you. But pay attention to the spelling. It is Füssen, or Fuessen if you don't know how to write a ü. Otherwhise the system won't know what to do.

It will be a long day. But could be interesting. You will be passing through Lindau, which is worth a stop as well.

For the rest you probably are better of asking on a German forum...

Wichita Falls, Texas
Level Contributor
211 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: Travel from Zurich etc

You are really spending one day in Murren (yes, two nights, but that only leaves you one day to do anything). That gives you zero flexibility due to weather. If your single day in Murren is a bad weather day, then you have pretty much wasted this leg of your trip. With the time that you have allocated to Switzerland, your options are limited, but, I would highly suggest that, rather than planning to visit Bern as a day trip from Lucerne, you do as a daytrip from Murren--or, better yet, you stop over for lunch and a couple of hours of checking out the arcaded streets of old Bern on your arrival day, breaking up the trip from the Zurich airport to Murren. If you do that, and add a day to Murren, that would give you two days in Murren, which, hopefully, would allow you to to the Shcilthorn and maybe an easy mountain walk (like from Grutschalp to Murren) or two; or, if you get bad weather, you can do things like Trummelbach Falls, the open air Museum at Ballenburg (which would probably be a hit with your child, and can incorporate a boat trip on Lake Brienz), or that daytrip to Bern if you don't stop over on arrival day.

As between Murren and Gimmelwad, the two are close enough to walk from one to the other, but there is more at Murren, and I, personally, would take Murren over Gimmelwald by a longshot.

In Lucerne with a 4 year old, I would think the Transport Museum would be great.

4. Re: Travel from Zurich etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2018, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Murren
Recent Conversations