We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Via Ferrata - Gear Rental

Billings, Montana
Level Contributor
263 posts
186 reviews
Via Ferrata - Gear Rental

I'm looking to rent Via Ferrata gear/helmet in Murren and Kandersteg. What are the main places to rent from in Murren ... Intersport, Sportchalet, and Alfred's sport shop? I think I read somewhere that Intersport won't rent you the gear unless you have proper hiking boots. Which rental place in town doesn't have this requirement? I'll be bringing my Merrell Moab Gore-Tex Waterproof Hiking Shoe and really don't want to have to rent hiking boots. I've done this via ferrata before and I'm sure that my hiking shoe is more than adequate. If you know the prices please also list them. Long shot, but if you know places in Kandersteg to rent, please also post them here.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
303 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Via Ferrata - Gear Rental

We have rented at Intersport several times and I don't recall them checking our shoes. I also wear Moabs and that was what we took on the Via Ferrata. I can't recall the cost from last summer but I think it was around $50 for a rental (no guide).

We were planning to do another VF over near the base of the Eiger, and Intersport was going to rent us gear the night before so we could leave early. If you are staying in Murren like we were, perhaps that would work for your other location. We ended up running out of time and did not do it.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
303 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Via Ferrata - Gear Rental

BTW it may be Stager Sport we rented from. It's the sports store right on the main street, just across from where the VF starts.

Billings, Montana
Level Contributor
263 posts
186 reviews
3. Re: Via Ferrata - Gear Rental

Thanks for your reply. Last time we did the VF we brought all our own gear because we also climbed the Matterhorn. A few years later, and a couple kids later, we're trying to pack lighter so I appreciate the rental info. I was also very much looking forward to doing the Kandersteg VF but we may need to eliminate it due to time constraints.

4. Re: Via Ferrata - Gear Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2018, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Murren