We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking in Switzerland

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
30 reviews
Walking in Switzerland

Good day! We are a group of 4 aged 63 to 75. All are fit and keen walkers/hikers. (walked in the Dolomites last year and the Nakasendo Way before that.) We like to stay in one place and do day walks without having to carry packs. In the past we have used local guides. A Swiss "village" seems like a good idea and someone mentioned Murren. Would it be suitable? If not, any other suggestions? We are looking at September/October this year. Thank you!

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
44,190 posts
204 reviews
1. Re: Walking in Switzerland

Mürren is very nice but I think for more than a few days Wengen would be better. However even better than there if you want great hiking - Zermatt. The advantage of the Oberland though as opposed to Zermatt are the many other attractions/places you can get to in a day even from Mürren which is slightly less accessible than Wengen...

If you get a rainy day in Zermatt you read. In the Oberland you can make a day trip to Bern. Or Luzern.

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
44,190 posts
204 reviews
2. Re: Walking in Switzerland

I should also have attached a link to an excellent site for walking routes in Switzerland...

www.wandern.ch

California
Level Contributor
622 posts
80 reviews
3. Re: Walking in Switzerland

Here's an excellent website for hikers. It shows all of the trails in Switzerland---just click on an area in the map and then you can see all of the walks. It has the added benefit of being in multiple languages, including English.

http://www.wanderland.ch/en/wanderland.htmlI

In September/October, you'll encounter fewer people on the trails, although going to major tourist destinations such as Murren or Zermatt will mean you will see far more tourists than in other areas. September can be good walking weather, but October may mean colder/wetter conditions. No one can predict the weather conditions, so it's better to plan ahead and be prepared for almost any weather situation.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Walking in Switzerland

I agree with all the suggestions already mentioned. There are many relatively easy hikes/ walks in the region. We aways bring at least one day pack to carry some extra food, water, rain gear, maps, etc. The trails are well-marked and obvious, so with a map and some planning, I don't think you will need a guide unless you plan some of the more ambitious and remote hikes.

I also agree that September would be better than waiting until October.

CT
Level Contributor
59 posts
5. Re: Walking in Switzerland

Hambagahle, Can you explain why you've suggested Wengen instead of Murren?

Thanks much.

Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
9,093 posts
1 review
6. Re: Walking in Switzerland

Wengen has more facilities than Murren. It's a bigger place, so more shops, more restaurants and bars etc.

However, when it comes to walking I think Murren is better. The walks on that side of the valley are very nice. Nice walks are for example to the Lobhorn Hut, and to the Rotstock hut. Both nice day hikes, with a hut you can have lunch at, so you don't need to take a lot of food with you.

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
44,190 posts
204 reviews
7. Re: Walking in Switzerland

To add to what krist says - IF you want to see other places in the Oberland Wengen is slightly better "connected" than Mürren. To get down from Mürren you take a train, then a cable car or a cable car and then a bus and then a train. From Wengen you just take a train which connects to the train to Interlaken Ost.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
95 posts
11 reviews
8. Re: Walking in Switzerland

Hi Krist and Hambagahle - Trust you are doing good !

Am visiting Swiss for 5 days with my husband and 6 year old. We are staying at Wilderwil for 5 nights. I want to spend a day exploring the countryside/the small chalets/greens.... treks/walks have to be easy considering am with a child. Just want to soak in Swiss for a day :)

Which place would you recommend to spend a day just enjoying the countryside- Wengen/Murren/Grindelwald or Wilderwil or anything else. Can you please help me. Thanks in advance !

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
44,190 posts
204 reviews
9. Re: Walking in Switzerland

You will get great views if you go to Mürren. But you do not say when you will be here. Not a hike but takes lots of walking - go to the Open Air museum at ballenberg (opens mid April till October). Your 6 yr old will LOVE it. Loads of farm buildings to run in and out of, crafts etc (blacksmiths, potters, honey makers, charcoal makers) to learn about and above all a LOT of animal to pet. It is huge. You will be walking all day. www.ballenberg.ch

get there from Brienz by post bus.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
303 posts
7 reviews
10. Re: Walking in Switzerland

I have stayed in both Wengen and Murren and we hike/walk as much as possible. They are both very nice, but I prefer Murren. Murren is really a magically beautiful town, and while Wengen is excellent also, I don't think it is in the same league. Of course whichever one you stay in, you should take a trip over to the "other side" one day.

Regarding the greater number of facilities in Wengen, we always rent a place with a kitchen so that we do not have to depend on restaurants for our meals. Having a kitchen makes eating simpler and also can save a lot of money.

Get answers to your questions about Murren