We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Murres or Davos?

Exeter, United...
7 posts
Murres or Davos?

Hi there,

Last year I ran the Swiss alpine marathon in Davos which was an amazing experience. Davos was one of the most relaxed places I've ever been to with stunning scenery with the lake and lots of nature everywhere.

I definitely want to go back to Switzerland this year however I'd rather go on a few hikes this time around at my own pace. Unfortunately I wasn't at Davos for long, so I didn't get a chance to try hiking there, but I've heard Murren has amazing hikes.

My question is are there any real differences between Davos and Murren in terms of walks, atmosphere, things to do etc? The plus side with Davos is that I've been once and I didn't want to leave whearas Murren looks great, I just haven't been yet!

Thanks!

paris london
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Murres or Davos?

Murren is a tiny, car-free village with not much to do in summer except sit around or go walkies. Because of its remote location, it takes a while to get anywhere. Davos as you know is a large and somewhat charmless town with many hotels, shops and restaurants. There are many other places to visit within an hour's train ride, such as Klosters.

I think the popularity of Murren derives from its picture postcard looks, its views, and the number of short, easy walks you can do (some with the aid of ski uplifts). Map: www.gimmelwald.ch/pic/inset/wanderkarte.pdf There are only a couple of challenging walks, which might be limiting for someone who can complete a mountain marathon. Also, a lot of the routes are below or not far from the treeline. There are a few tougher routes in nearby Grindelwald, but given the 1hr+ trip each way, it would be better to stay there instead to do them.

Davos has more extensive walking trails, and more challenging routes. Map: davos.ch/en/summer/mountains/interactive-map/

I think most people would prefer Murren for the views and the charm of the village, but if you want to challenge yourself physically, and in particular if you want to walk in the high Alps, above the treeline, then Davos would be a better pick.

A bonus with tougher routes, by the way, is that you'll see far fewer other people, particularly if a lot of uphill walking is necessary.

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
43,156 posts
201 reviews
2. Re: Murres or Davos?

Totally agree with the post above. Davos is a concrete jungle. No charm at all (but not bad skiing). Mürren is a lovely old Swiss village with terrific views and lots of great hiking. Personally for the view - I would go to Mürren. I would also (having stayed in Davos) avoid that like the plague. If you want to be in the Grisons - go to Klosters which is near Davos but a whole lot nicer...

california
Level Contributor
183 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Murres or Davos?

We love the views from Murren and always visit there at least once a year for a few hours while based in Grindelwald. We do, however,also base in Davos for a week every year. There are many hiking trails between the areas of Filisur and Scuol which can be easily reached by train. We stay at the Turmhotel Victoria which is across the street from the Davos Dorf train station. Another plus is an evening walk around the beautiful lake.

Exeter, United...
7 posts
4. Re: Murres or Davos?

Thanks for the help everyone! Your opinions are very useful and it's great that you have all both been to Murren and Davos to give me a better idea.

Judging by what I've read, Davos has a bit more variation, longer walks and everything is a little bit more nearby whereas the town itself isn't as charming whereas Murren is perfect for a relaxed break away with easier walks and a charming village.

Very tough to decide! Maybe I'll try and fit them both in to one trip!

5. Re: Murres or Davos?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2018, 05:18