We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mid April In Murren

seattle
9 posts
Save Topic
Mid April In Murren

Hi -

We are flying into Zurich on April 21 and plan to go to Luzern and spend 2-3 days. After Luzern we would like to spend 3-5 days in and around Murren but we're very concerned that most hotels and restaurants will be shut down and most hikes will not be open. Would we be better off staying in another town in the BO area instead? We've been told that Thun is a lovely town to visit so, at that time of year would we be better off splitting the time between the BO area and Thun?

After that we were thinking of going to Zermatt to take the Glacier Express to St. Moritz and spend the night before going back to Zurich to fly home. What are your thoughts for this plan during this time of year?

1 reply
Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
15,030 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mid April In Murren

Hi travelfanSeattle

You are absolutely right, after the end of ski season Muerren will be very calm. April is an excellent time to spend at the lake areas of Switzerland. I would recommend to spend 3 or 4 nights at Lucerne and then to move to an other area. I would recommend you look at

- www.montreux-vevey.com/en and Top Questions about Montreux (TA Montreux forum)

- www.ticino.ch and Top Questions about Lugano (TA Lugano forum)

instead. To move to the Montreux/Vevey area take the scenic goldenpass line - on www.sbb.ch/en input from Lucerne to your destination, then press the advanced search button and input via Bruenig-Hasliberg and via Gstaad -. If you would prefer to visit the Ticino you would take the San Gottardo railway via the new tunnel or if you input via Goeschnen you can travel via the old San Gottardo line which is very scenic. Here you could use the boat from Lucerne to Flueelen.

O course it would be possible to spend some time at Wilderswil, Brienz, Spiez or Thun but I think it would be the better choice to go to the lake Geneva area this time of the year.

Happy planning

pore

p3

Reply to: Mid April In Murren
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Murren