We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris to Murren HELP

Brasília, Distrito...
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Paris to Murren HELP

I'm reading the topics, but I still have a lot of questions.. I will be traveling with my girlfriend. We are from Brazil and we will arrive at Paris 14:00h. We have never travel by train in Europe before, only rental cars.

1 - We will probably stay at Hotel Eiger, in Murren, and we will get a train from Paris around 18:00h ( to cover any delay on the flight ), but the trick question is, we want to know Colmar ( france ) before going to Murren. Can we buy a TGV ticket with a stopover there? Paris - Colmar - Interlaken Ost - Murren BLM? ( we will sleep in Colmar, walk around the city in the day and want to get the train by the end of the afternoon, around 18:00h )

2 - Is it possible to get the way-around travel with the stopover in Colmar? I did some search and discover that Paris - Colmar cost is Eur 72 ( both ) and Colmar - Basel is Eur 28.2 ( both ). I saw at SBB website that the leg BASEL - Murren BLM it will cost us 80CHF each person, correct? I think it is kind of expensive...

3 - The hotel itself is kind of expensive, so we need the cheapest way to get there. We will spend 3 nights and 2 days in Murren. I already saw a lot of posts about swiss card, half fare... but is it worth for us? I saw that, if we go to Basel, it will be probably cheaper than go to Interlaken, is that true?

4 - We will get discount at train tickets staying at a swiss hotel? How?

5 - Any suggestions of what to do? I saw some pictures of Bern, Lucerne, Thun and Lausanne. Beautiful cities.. is it possible to know one or 2 of them? Which one is the beautiful one? Harder Kulm, Interlaken, will be open? We will arrive in March, 16 - 18.

6 - My girl want to know Jungfrau, Top of Europe. But the tickets to go up there appears to be around 170CHF for person, is that right?

7 - Any suggestions will be very appreciated.

I'm asking all the questions about price, because after swiss, we will still be traveling for 20 more days, so I'm afraid the money won't be enough, lol.

Thank you so much in advance for the answers and help.

* It's my 30's birthday travel, so we need to celebrate. :)

5 replies to this topic
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,190 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris to Murren HELP

Sounds like a nice long trip and you are right to be concerned about money! To answer your questions:

1) Buy two separate tickets: Paris to Colmar and then for the next day Colmar to Mürren. Suggest though you leave well before 1800 so that you get plenty of light to see the views between Interlaken Ost and Mürren. I would buy the TGV ticket on www.trainline.eu and the other one on www.sbb.ch/en

2) You could consider getting a Swiss Transfer Ticket - has to be bought BEFORE you arrive here - which will get you from the Basel SBB station to Mürren and then from Mürren to your point of departure from Switzerland.

See the SBB site for details. Note that the journey has to be done in a day - i.e. Basel to Mürren and then on another day Mürren to wherever you are leaving Switzerland from. You can stop off along the route though. But travel must be by hte most direct route.

3) You can add a HFC to the STT at only 60frs per person. This might be a great thing to do because it will save you a lot on the Jungfraujoch excursion - will more than pay for itself in fact.

4) The only hotel chain I have heard that does this are the Sunstar hotels. Other people here might know of other hotels.

5) Bern is gorgeous. Lausanne not particularly. Luzern is lovely. Interlaken is a tourist trap. It will be "open" - it never closes - but I would not go there aside to change trains. harder Kulm - I am not sure what date it opens up in the spring so better check their website.

6) see (3) above

San Diego...
Level Contributor
295 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris to Murren HELP

If on a budget I would skip the Top of Europe unless you are very interested in the ride itself -- the train's history for example. ToE is grossly overpriced, very crowded, and often socked in by clouds, plus there are fantastic views everywhere in this area. Most hikes are free or have modest train costs to reach. You are getting there very early in the season though, so I don't know how the trails will be. Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg is one of many options if the snow permits.

Also, to save money, try to eat as much as possible from the Coop grocery store in Murren rather than dining out. Restaurants are very expensive -- you can easily spend $50US at the Chinese take-out for two people. Buy bread, cheese, meat, fruit at the Coop and eat somewhere scenic.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,190 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris to Murren HELP

As a Swiss I would consider a Chinese take out at $50 for two people a bargain! Around here that averages 90-100frs. for two!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris to Murren HELP

Be aware that you get to Murren from the Lauterbrunnen train station either by taking a cable car up to Grutschalp and then a train to Murren, or you take a bus from Lauterbrunnen to the cable car at Stechelberg that takes you to Murren via Gimmelwald. These do not run 24 hours a day, so need to check the schedules for the cable cars or you may not have a means to get to Murren if you arrive too late in the evening.

Edited: 06 February 2017, 21:46
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,190 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris to Murren HELP

Not a huge danger of that because the last cable car/train to Mürren from Lauterbrunnen connect with the last train into Lauterbrunenn from Interlaken Ost...

Reply to: Paris to Murren HELP
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Murren