We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lucerne to Venice using Bernina Express Route

Bangalore, India
Level Contributor
549 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Lucerne to Venice using Bernina Express Route

Hi

I am trying to find the fare for Lucerne to Venice -Italy using the Bernina Express route (The same route, not the train)

I tried using SBB site but could not get the fare

I shall be grateful if I could get the fare or how to find out the same.

I will be having half fare card in Switzerland

Thanks for advising

Lugano, Switzerland
Level Contributor
251 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lucerne to Venice using Bernina Express Route

From Lucerne to Venise you would be travelling partially in Switzerland and partially in Italy, using different railways organizations. First you must travel by train from Lucerrne (via Zurich) to Chur; change the train and get the Bernina Express from Chur (via San Moritz) to Tirano (italy). From Tirano take the Italian train to Milano (via Lecco). Finally, in Milan take the train to Venise. The duration of this trip would be about 2 days. Probably you would have to lodge somewhere, I suspect in Tirano. To find the individual fares it is rather a nightmare because of the Italian section. From Lucerne to Chur and from Chur to Tirano it should not be any problem using internet (SBB or Bernina Express). Good luck.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,845 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lucerne to Venice using Bernina Express Route

Basically, you need to look up 2 tickets: Lucerne to Tirano on SBB and Tirano to Florence on Trenitalia.

You can buy the trip in one ticket but not online (only from a counter), the price will be probably equal to or slightly cheaper than the sum of the 2 individual tickets.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
14,407 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lucerne to Venice using Bernina Express Route

Hi Bangalore traveller

I would recommend you take the San Gottardo route which takes 7H15 and costs CHF 136.-- - found on www.sbb.ch/en -. I was looking on www.trenitalia.com and did not find a connection from Tirano to Venezia.

pore

Bangalore, India
Level Contributor
549 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lucerne to Venice using Bernina Express Route

I have got the fare from Lucerne to Tirano on SBB site as well as Tirano to Venice on Trenitalia site Via Chur

I want to know if I travel from Chur to Tirano, will I be following the same rotue as the Bernina express.

Thanks for advising

Edited: 02 November 2011, 11:41
London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lucerne to Venice using Bernina Express Route

Yes, when you travel from Chur to Tirano, you will be following the Bernina Express route.

If you choose this route, you should plan a stop over as already advised. I think there are more attractive options than Tirano - perhaps Pontresina, St Moritz, Poschiavo, or Varenna. Unless you have a Swiss Pass anyway, this would involve different tickets for the different days, but that is no problem.

Edited: 02 November 2011, 16:15
Bangalore, India
Level Contributor
549 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lucerne to Venice using Bernina Express Route

As I am also adding Italy to my itinerary, I dont think I can have the luxury of spending 1 more night in Switzerland. I will have to move the same day directly to Venice From Lucerne

As I am changing my travelling plans, I intend to buy a Eurail Pass for 3 countries-France, Switzerland & Italy.

I hope that I will be able to travel free on my Pass days unlimited witihin Switzerland using the pass (except mountain tops) so that I can take a full day tour of Switzerland starting from Lucerne to Montreaux & then back via chur to Lucerne.

Also my journey from Lucerne to Venice on the route being discussed here will be totally free except for the reservation between Milan & Venice.

Thanks for advising.

Edited: 03 November 2011, 01:43
Lugano, Switzerland
Level Contributor
251 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lucerne to Venice using Bernina Express Route

It seems that your plan of the journey in Switzerland have changed. Now, you are talking of 1 full additional day (prior to travelling to Venise via Bernina-Express), bringing you from Lucerne to Montreux (on Lake Geneva) and back to Lucerne (incidentally, Chur is 3 hours train-distance from Lucerne, eastwards). To avoid the return trip from Montreux to Lucerne, I would suggest (for a 1 full-day train-journey): Lucerne, via Brünig to Interlaken, and then via Spiez the small train to Montreux; from Montreux to Valais (Sion, Brigue) and then take the Glacier-Express (or a similar train) to Hospenthal/Andermatt/Sedrun, Chur; in Chur you probably would have to sleep, since I suspect by the time you are in Chur it is already night. Take a map of Switzerland and study carefully the various locations you want to visit. Be aware that our trains are not "high-speed" (like in France and Italy); we are full of mountains and it takes a while from one location to the other. Incidentally, the suggestion to sleep in Varenna (train Tirano-Lecco-Milano) is a good one.

Bangalore, India
Level Contributor
549 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lucerne to Venice using Bernina Express Route

The reason for my previous day train trip is given in this post.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188064-i573-k4871…

As my base is in Lucerne, I will have to return to Lucerne after the day long trip. I do not want to carry my entire luggage on this trip as there will be too many train changes.

Moreover as I am in Lucerne for 3 days, & I will take the trip to Mt. Titlis on the day the weather is clear. As such the train site seeing tour day is not fixed.

So the advice of overnight halt in Chur before departing for Venice is not possible, although very correct.

I just wanted the confirmation that the entire route from Lucerne to Venice would be covered by the Eurail Pass free

Thanks for advising

Edited: 03 November 2011, 09:47
Southport UK
Level Contributor
933 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lucerne to Venice using Bernina Express Route

You are likely to need reservations on the train in Italy.

Gibel

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lucerne to Venice using Bernina Express Route

I am a little confused by your plans. I don't think that you can travel the route Lucerne -> Chur -> Tirano -> Milan -> Venice in one day unless you are willing to depart VERY early and arrive VERY late. It could be something like a 16 hour journey and so exhausting that the scenic beauty is lost. I suggest you check the timetables carefully before getting set on doing the journey without a stopover.