We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Base For 3 Day Visit

chicago, illinois
Level Contributor
148 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Base For 3 Day Visit

Travelling from Paris to Switzerland to Rome by train at end of July. Arriving early afternoon from Paris to Berne (?) and leaving Berne (?) to Rome early morning. Haven't made train reservations yet. Have 3 non travel days in between to spend in Switzerland. Summit excursion main objective. Mountain village exploration and possible day trips to larger city also possible. Should I look at Lucerne area or Interlaken area? What cities as possible bases? What day trips possible? Looking to choose base area to start researching details.

canada
Level Contributor
7,461 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Base For 3 Day Visit

Hi chicagobob, here is my translation:

Summit excursion main objective --> Jungfraujoch train.

Mountain village exploration --> Wengen is closer to your train up Jungfraujoch.

From Wengen, you can do day trips to Brienz, which is on the way to Lucerne, via a scenic rail line. You can return to Interlaken via Bern. You can also travel through Lucerne on your way to Rome, but you will be hard pressed to squeeze a couple of hours to walk around Lucerne. Check the train timetables, don´t forget to allow a missed connection at Milan.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
13,226 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Base For 3 Day Visit

Hi chicagobob53

From Paris you could take the TGV to Basel and continue to Lucerne (about one railway hour). It is also possible to reach Lucerne from Berne with a direct train through the Emmental and the Entlebuch (very nice area) - see www.sbb.ch/en -.

From Lucerne I would not recommend to go to Jungfraujoch but to Mt. Titlis which is very different but also a glacier experience. For Lucerne information look at www.luzern.com and Top Questons about Lucerne (TA Lucerne forum).

If you prefer Jungfraujoch you should look for a place at Thun/SPIEZ/Jungfrau area - www.myjungfrau.ch -.

Italy is easily reachable from both places, Spiez and Lucerne.

Happy planing

pore

chicago, illinois
Level Contributor
148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Base For 3 Day Visit

Viewing the Alps is on my bucket list and looks like Jungfraujoch should be my destination. Can I choose a location like Thun/Spiez/Interlaken and still be able to get to Jungfraujoch easily (don’t mind early rising if needed). Obviously Lauterbrunnen area might be more convenient but also looks more expensive and less available. I plan on selecting the best of the three days for Jungfraujoch and day trips for the others. Berne, Lucerne and even Basel look accessible by train. What do you think of my plans?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
153 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Base For 3 Day Visit

If you enjoy hiking and stunning views, there is plenty in the Jungfrau region to fill three days without a problem. We did a similar trip to yours last summer but in reverse (Italy to Switzerland to Paris) and spent 4 days in the Jungfrau region. Lauterbrunnen and Wengen both make for great bases for exploring the area. The views are amazing and I think it's worth it to stay in one of those places instead of Interlaken but there's no reason you couldn't stay in Interlaken.

chicago, illinois
Level Contributor
148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Base For 3 Day Visit

Thanks everyone. Will look in Lauterbrunnen area for hotel as base.

6. Re: Base For 3 Day Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2013, 10:19