We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How should I arrange this itinerary?

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Topic
How should I arrange this itinerary?

Hello my friends. I am trying to prepare a trip through Austria &, Switzerland visiting the following cities:

In Austria: Innsbruck, Salzburg and Vienna

In Switzerland (Bases): Montreaux, Lauterbrunnen, Lucerne, Bellinzona.

I am having real trouble to figure out how to order the cities in a logical way to visit them. How would you order this cities considering I will be travelling by train (or one time in low cost air travel If necessary)?

I have to add that before this part of the trip, I will be in Munich. After this part of the trip I will be going to Verona (Italy). Please I need help with arranging this trip logically (for the shortest train connections possible).

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,127 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How should I arrange this itinerary?

Hi midnightrider1989,

I guess I would go

München-Luzern-Lauterbrunnen-Montreux-Bellinzona-Verona

I think I would try to go from Montreux to Bellinzona via Brig & Domodossola rather than going back up to Zürich, which the rail scheduler may try to get you to do.

You can see the train schedules & routes at

www.rail.ch

Have fun!

s

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
13,921 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How should I arrange this itinerary?

Hi midnightrider1989

Do you have enough time to visit all these places? You could easily spend a week at Vienna, another one at Salzburg and Innsbruck - see oebb.at -, a few days at Lucerne - see www.luzern.com and Top Questions about Lucerne (TA Lucerne forum), at least four full days at Lauterbrunnen - www.myjungfrau.ch -, three to seven full days at Montreux - www.montreux.ch and Top Questions about Montreux (TA Montreux forum) and three days at Bellinzona. For rail trips within, from and to Switzerland see www.sbb.ch/en

The order mentioned above would be how I would do it. follow swandavs instuctions, they are very nice.

pore

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,122 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How should I arrange this itinerary?

I absolutely think that the route Montreux-Bellinzona via Domodossola is the best way to go - because it is the most scenic! You get off the train in Domodossola and change to the Centovalli line, which takes you to Locarno where you change again for Bellinzona. the centovalli ("hundred valleys" is really beautiful. And being on the train is the perfect way to see it!!

But I also think you are trying to do way too much in a short time. Limit your trip to either switzerland OR Austria and come back again to see the other country another time. Vienna is a LONG way from Munich, for example! you are going to spend far more time on trains than you will have to actually sightsee, which is a shame.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How should I arrange this itinerary?

Thank you very much for the advice!

I would like to add that my stay in Switzerland is app. 12 days (3 days in each base) and in Austria it is 7 days (3 days Vienna, 2 days Salzburg, 2 days Innsbruck). Sorry for not saying that before.

I really like the plan you suggest me, but I´m still wondering how I could include Austria in my itinerary. Do you think the following would be OK?

(coming from Munich, Germany)

Munich to Salzburg

Salzburg to Innsbruck

Innsbruck to Vienna

Vienna to Lucerne (Overnight train)

Lucerne to Lauterbrunnen

Lauterbrunnen to Montreaux

Montreaux to Bellinzona

(going to Verona, Italy)

Thanks for everything!

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
13,921 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How should I arrange this itinerary?

See post 2

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,122 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How should I arrange this itinerary?

I would do it slightly differently -

Munich to Vienna

Vienna to salzburg

Saluzburg to Innsbruck

Innsbruck to Luzern through the Tyrol (Vorarlberg line - very lovely in the daytime!)

Luzern to Lauterbrunnen

Lauterbrunnen to Montreux (no "a" in the spelling!!)

Montreux to bellinzona via Brig/Domodossola/Locarno

Bellinzona to Milan

Milano to venice.

IF there is a night train Munich to Vienna, take it. then you can see the whole route (almost) in the daytime on the way back...

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How should I arrange this itinerary?

Perfect. I think this last itinerary is the one I´m going to use. Thank you very much everyone! You´ve been very helpful as you always are!

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,127 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How should I arrange this itinerary?

Hi again,

Are you actually flying into München? Why not fly into Vienna, then all of your travel will be basically in one direction. It makes no sense to me to start in München then go east, then go west again. I would go

Vienna-Salzburg-München-Innsbruck-Luzern-Lauterbrunnen-Montreux-Bellinzona.

Have fun!

s

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How should I arrange this itinerary?

I am not flying into Munich. The thing is that I will be coming from a 3-weeks Germany trip ending in Munich.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,127 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How should I arrange this itinerary?

Hi again,

What are your other stops in Germany, then? You may find it easier to re-arrange your visit to see München between Salzburg and Innsbruck.

You may want to think of your trip in regions rather than in countries, so that you can group your destinations geographically.

I just dislike extremem excursions that have me going waaay east and then back waaay west again.

Anyway, hope it all works out!

s