We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss road tax?

Which Switzerland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newbury, England
Level Contributor
139 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Swiss road tax?

We are staying in the French Alps in August. We plan to visit CERN near Geneva during our stay and will be driving there.

Looking at a tripadvisor french forum I saw the following comment:

"if you are going to drive in Switzerland you will need to pay the one time Swiss highway tax. I think it is still 40 CHF."

Is this true? how do we pay? Can we pay in Euros?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
31,150 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swiss road tax?

If you are in France, in the Pays de Gex, and you go to visit CERN you will not have to take an autoroute (motorway). The "vignette" of 40frs applies only to driving on a motorway. It is something we have instead of tolls. (It is not a "Road tax" - we pay road tax annually on our cars!)

If on the other hand you are in the Haute Savoie, and you plan to drive on the motorway to Geneva, and around Geneva to the airport to get to CERN then you will need the vignette.

You buy the vignette at the border crossings, at garages and at post offices. Many garages in neighbouring France also sell them. I suppose there you could pay in EUR. In Switzerland you will need Swiss francs.

There are easy routes to take to avoid the motorway. if you tell me exactly where you are coming from in France I can tell you how to drive to CERN:

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swiss road tax?

I don't know if you know that, but you might want to book your visit to CERN well in advance, it is quite popular and places go early.

tak

Newbury, England
Level Contributor
139 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swiss road tax?

We are staying near Cluses, South-East of Geneva. So I guess our routes would either be round the city on the motorways (so needing the vignette) or follow the French roads around to the west.

Or can you suggest another route?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
31,150 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swiss road tax?

Come into Geneva frm Cluses on the A40 (french) autoroute. This will bring you to the Gaillard border crossing. Once through the border, continue on straight ahead. You will be on the route de Malagnou. Follow this for several km until you reach teh avenue de l'Amandolier.. Turn right. At the rte de Chêne (next major road) turn left and follow on down to the lake. Stay left on the Mt Blanc bridge and follow signs for "Aéroport". This will bring you through the Servette area to the airport. You will be on the route de Meyrin. Just before the airport you will see signs for "Meyrin". Follow these and you will then pick up signs for CERN.

Outside of rush hours (0730-0900, lunch time and 1630-1900) this route should take you around 30 minutes from the French border to CERN.

None of these roads require a vignette. If you want to stop in the centre you can park right next to the Mt Blanc bridge in the underwater parking lot. If you are going to do this, stay to your right as you approach the bridge.

A couple of things about driving in CH. It is recommended (but not required, yet) to keep your headlights on. most people do. Speed limits are VERY strickly enforced. And so is "Préselection". If you find yourself in a lane before a light with an arrow going in another direction than the one you want to take, follow it. Do not cut across to another lane. The Police do not like people who do this!! Finally, seat belts are required front and back.

Hope all this sorts you out! If you go to Google maps you can see the route and print out directions (which will most likely be better than mine!)

Newbury, England
Level Contributor
139 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swiss road tax?

Thank you Hambagahle,

We will check the route on the maps my other half has been buying in his lunch hour.

Our sons are intrigued by the idea of a underwater car-park (!)

Fang

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
31,150 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swiss road tax?

It is an underwater car park. It was built in 1971 and I watched them do it!! It is under the lake. But you will not see any water - you drive down a ramp and into the car park. They had to haev a coffer dam to keep the water back while they built it, and then they let the lak back over it, and you cannot see it from the lake!!

Don't get maps - get the itinerary from Google!

France
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swiss road tax?

If in the worst case you do need the vignette (perhaps to explore Switzerland a bit more) you can pay in Euro directly to the Swiss customs guy at the border crossing - you give him 30 euro and get 5CHF in change.

8. Re: Swiss road tax?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2010, 07:16