We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itineraries & Rail Passes

salisbury, england
Level Contributor
32 posts
15 reviews
Itineraries & Rail Passes

I'm visiting Switzerland at the end of July for 12 days along with partner and 8-year old son.

We're flying in to Geneva and then hope to use Swiss Rail to get around; I've got a rough idea of what we want to do : Lausanne/Vervey; Zermatt; Murren/Interlaken; Locarno/Lugano.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's made a similar trip : is it perhaps better to keep to one or two bases and make trips or get around as much as possible using the rail system?

Could I also ask for advice on (budget) accommodation in those areas.

Lastly could somebody please explain how the Swiss Rail pass system works? I've looked on their website but I'm still confused - is it better to buy both Railpass and Canton (ie Bernese Oberland) pass?

I'm asking for a lot but many thanks in advance!

Switzerland
Level Contributor
616 posts
30 reviews
1. Re: Itineraries & Rail Passes

Hello Wiltshireboy,

I can't help you with the rail passes or the accommodation, but I do think your list of places to visit sounds good. On considering Murren/Interlaken, just remember that Murren is a tiny town on a mountain side that you can only get to by train. Interlaken is good if you want to see Lucerne, etc. from there. Also, I'd go for Locarno before Lugano (though it's a close decision). You might even want to consider Ascona. Good luck!