We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gate of Heaven Tour, Cathedral in Siena

Which Siena hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
3 posts
Save Topic
Gate of Heaven Tour, Cathedral in Siena

Wondering if anyone has taken this tour and would recommend it over seeing the Cathedral with the Opa Si Pass? I contacted the Cathedral to ask if the areas covered by the Opa Si Pass were included in the Gate of Heaven Tour and was told no -- tickets for those areas (the Cathedral itself, Baptistery, Crypt, etc.) would have to be purchased separately. Any advice? Many thanks!

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,733 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gate of Heaven Tour, Cathedral in Siena

Mame,

See www.operaduomo.siena.it/eng/opa_si_pass.htm

Philadelphia...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gate of Heaven Tour, Cathedral in Siena

Thank you for the link --I've been to this site and reviewed what the Opa Si Pass covers. I'm just trying to figure out which way to tour this splendid Cathedral given the time I have -- booking the Gate of Heaven Tour, or buying the Opa Si Pass......I only have a couple of hours to spend in the Cathedral, and it appears the Gate of Heaven Tour is 2 1/2 hours, so I have to choose between the 2. I haven't found any feedback about the Gate of Heaven tour, and wondered if anyone had taken it and what they thought of it.....

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,286 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gate of Heaven Tour, Cathedral in Siena

I have done the tour of the upper part of the duomo. It was extremely interesting and really is a unique opportunity. (Don't go up there if you have no head for heights!)

This review gives a good if brief outline of what you see: …blogspot.it/2013/03/tour-of-roof-levels-of-…

We went through the ceiling and then descended into the cathedral itself where the guided tour continued, including into the Piccolomini library, after which we were free to explore the rest by ourselves, with the exception of the underground areas because they are part of a different current exhibition: …blogspot.it/2013/03/a-not-to-be-missed-art-…

Philadelphia...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gate of Heaven Tour, Cathedral in Siena

Thank you! This is great information.

Mendocino
Level Contributor
2 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gate of Heaven Tour, Cathedral in Siena

If we buy the gate of heaven tour, will we see the wonderful marble floors or would we need to buy the Opa Si Pass to see them? Thank you.

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,286 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gate of Heaven Tour, Cathedral in Siena

You will see the floors from far above and also close up when you go into the cathedral at ground level.

Mendocino
Level Contributor
2 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gate of Heaven Tour, Cathedral in Siena

Thank you. If we do the gate of heaven tour at 4:30, will we be able to see more of the cathedral before it closes, or would we need to come back another time ? Thank you for your advice. Also, if we do the two hour city tour of Siena, and then the 1:30 gate of heaven tour, would we have time to get a coffee and a small bite to eat? We would only have 30 minutes, and I do not know where the two hour city tour ends.

Łódź, Lodz, Poland
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gate of Heaven Tour, Cathedral in Siena

How long does this tour really take? 1,5 hour? 2,5 hours? Some other time?

Do I understand correct, that you only have to pay for the tour (25 euro) and that it covers also the entrance to the cathedral?

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,286 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gate of Heaven Tour, Cathedral in Siena

I can't remember exactly how long the tour took. We were there for at least 2 hours, maybe more. Yes, entrance into the cathedral itself is also included in the tour ticket. In fact the guide takes you into the ground level of the cathedral and explains more. After that you're free to stay as long as you like.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gate of Heaven Tour, Cathedral in Siena

Maybe someone here can help me. We want to visit the Gate of heaven in June 2014, but i have been told we can only make reservation through phone, and pay by banking transfer. Anyone here can tell me about their experience in buying the tickets. According to what i see i have to call Italy and reserve in advance in order to have the money transferred in time for the visit. Thank you for your help