We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to leave luggage on train while dining

Australia
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe to leave luggage on train while dining

We will be travelling from Siena to Naples/Sorrento by train and I was thinking about having a meal on the train. Is it safe to leave your luggage unattended while you go to a dining car.

In some travel books they warn about leaving your luggage unattended for 1 minute.

I have also read about luggage disappearing from trains and wondered if we needed to bring chain and padlock to padlock it to something as some backpackers do in Asia.

Also is it acceptable to bring your own food/drinks/beer on a train

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,137 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to leave luggage on train while dining

It is perfectly acceptable to eat your own food on trains, also in view of the fact that only ES and ES/AV (high speed) trains have dining cars these days (and on those that do, the food is not exciting anyway).

On those trains the ticket includes an insurance that covers in case of theft of your luggage www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp… (go to 'security'). It only covers up to 250 euro per piece or so, though.

I personally would not leave luggage unattended.

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,313 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to leave luggage on train while dining

Your larger luggage will either be placed between the seats or at the end of the carriage where it is in any case "unattended". Take handbags and briefcases with you when you go to eat. In a full carriage on a train that has a restaurant car (i.e. where everyone has a reserved seat), it's highly unlikely that anyone could get away with rooting through your gear while you're away.

By all means take your food and drink on board with you. Assembling a sandwich or a plastic plate full of eats is what those little tables in front of the seats are for. (Their other purpose is to make it absolutely impossible for anyone over 5 foot tall to sit in comfort.) Some of them even have holders for your wine bottle.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to leave luggage on train while dining

Thanks for the advice.

I wasnt worried about someone going through the luggage as we always lock it, but I thought someone could take your luggage and get off at a station, or take your luggage and move to another carriage and you wouldnt be able to find it.

The last time we travelled by train in Italy we had to leave the luggage unattended at the end of the carriage near the door and I was concerned. I wondered if this was still the case, and if so, I should carry some chain and a padlock and lock it to a post or railing, so that it couldnt be removed by someone else when they get off the train. I have just heard horror stories about theft in Italy, but not sure how true it is.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to leave luggage on train while dining

That is precisely what it is: "horror stories". Theft in Italy is no more prevalent than in most other countries and less prevalent than in some. Pickpocketing may be an issue in crowded situations, but theft is not a common problem.

I have not read a single report of luggage being stolen on an ES or ES AV train. If you chain and lock your luggage, you cause inconvenience to people who legitimately want to remove their luggage.

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,313 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to leave luggage on train while dining

On trains where no reservation is needed there can indeed be people standing or moving from carriage to carriage in an "uncontrolled" way. Around Rome and Naples (and to a lesser extent elsewhere), some of these individuals are baggage thieves. However, the reservation-only trains often need to be reserved in advance and they cost money - thieves like to travel for free as opportunity arises. They also like hop on hop off (with your bags) near their base, while intercity trains often go for an hour or more without a stop. So on short run trains, keep an eye on your gear. On intercity expresses, relax and enjoy the trip.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to leave luggage on train while dining

Thank you for your advice.

I presume from what you say that the train from Naples to Sorrento, and the train from Genoa to Vernazza, and Vernazza to Spezia could then be a problem.

Is it possible to keep your luggage close by you at all times and not leave it at the end of the carriage on these trains.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,224 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe to leave luggage on train while dining

IF you have luggage up to 22inches it will fit behind the seat. I have done this several times because I travel light.

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,313 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe to leave luggage on train while dining

Yes, there are luggage racks as well as space between the seats. You can also just put it in the gangway and lift it up when the minibar guy passes by. I have to say, you're worrying unnecessarily about this.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,284 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe to leave luggage on train while dining

Keep it at least in view on the Circumvesuviana between Naples and Sorrento. It is a slow local train stopping at many stations and there are lots of opportunities for people to get on and off. If space permits, keep it right next to you including on the platform at Naples. The train was not at all crowded when we were on it so we could even put some things like the carry on luggage on the seat. While we did not feel unsafe we did worry more here than elsewhere about opportunistic theft.

10. Re: Is it safe to leave luggage on train while dining

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2009, 05:32