We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long to stay in Lucca?

salisbury, england
Level Contributor
32 posts
15 reviews
How long to stay in Lucca?

We are planning to visit Lucca at Easter and can't decide whether to just stay for 4 nights or a whole week. My question is - is there enough to do in Lucca and the surrounding area to fill a week?

That may sound a bit strange as Pisa, Florence and all the rest are on Lucca's doorstep but I've got to take into consideration one lively 10-year old boy - so not too many museums and galleries!

We're not taking a car so will be reliant on public transport.

We're also looking for a centrally-located apartment to rent - I'd be grateful for any recommendations.

Thanks in advance

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,670 posts
68 reviews
1. Re: How long to stay in Lucca?

If you don't stay the full week, where else are you considering going?

Auckland
Level Contributor
306 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: How long to stay in Lucca?

Hi there Wiltshire Boy,

We are staying (4 of us) in an apartment in Lucca we found on the holiday-rentals.co.uk site its 2brm apartment Piana di Lucca. Its on the first floor of the historical Chucchese Building. Which takes it's name from the Guinigi family who built it in the 1400's.

We got our travel agent to check it out for us. It looks lovely.

We are staying for 7 days. I don't think 4 would be too long myself. If you have trouble finding the website let me know. Have a great trip.

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,910 posts
32 reviews
3. Re: How long to stay in Lucca?

You might want to consider spending every night in Lucca particularly BECAUSE of that lively ten-year-old. Walking, biking,cavorting: on the walls (and stopping in the playgrounds and picnic areas and other areas "requiring" exploration - all on the walls) is a wonderful way to expend energy before and/or after day trips to all the easily accessible areas you'll want to visit. One-hour (and ten min.) to Florence on the bus. 30-40 min. to Pisa on the bus. Lots of other fun day trips. (Get a taxi to Collodi and the visit the Parco Pinocchio.) Also, on first trip to Lucca years ago, I allowed my then-12-year-old to take short "alone" trips on the streets of Lucca....within the walls, close to our hotel, around the corner to the gelato parlour, to the piazza to feed pigeons and flirt with the Italian girls, just behind the church to get a slice of pizza, and (too sophisticated, he was in heaven) just down the way to get a cafe (after the first one, he learned to ask for cafe americano decaffinato!)

Also, there are some dandy things to do in Lucca. Take the kid to see the little dog at the feet of the Ilaria sculpture in the sacristry in the Duomo. Don't have to stay long, but it'll expose him to a little art and he's (or she's) bound to be charmed by the dog. Then go to the San Frediano Church after kid-education on the existence there of the lovely little Santa Zita. Be sure he knows it's the actual, total remains of the little saint and the gross-out feature will be the initial attraction, but will get him/her into a stunning church and exposed to the beautiful batistry within and the mosaic facade without.

Also, there are fabuous old-world processions and other great Easter-sensitive features. I was in Lucca last Easter and it was just magical. Do get a reservation for your Easter meal - as soon as you get there!!! One "nostalgic" note: I nearly froze to death. I'd checked on the average temperatures and the temps were considerably below the averages. You'll have a lovely time.

Auckland
Level Contributor
306 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: How long to stay in Lucca?

Hi SavannahMame.

Good to be able to read about all the things you did. Gives us more ideas as well.

We are going to make sure we make time for a little opera while we are there as well, plus a trip to the beach.

Sounds like you had a lovely time.

salisbury, england
Level Contributor
32 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: How long to stay in Lucca?

Thanks very much to all for helpful advice - we've decided to go ahead and book a week in Lucca.

Peggypatch - I see from your links that you stayed in an apartment booked through Homelidays belonging to Monique. She's got availability for the week we're going - I just wondered how you found it. Thanks

perth
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
6. Re: How long to stay in Lucca?

Hi SavannahMame, am once again taking notes from your posts. Have re-booked our holiday, arriving in Lucca 22nd Sept for a month. The angel who we were staying with on our cancelled holiday ( Aug / sept last year )has come to our rescue again. Only 34 and a bit weeks. Hope all is well with you. lennyb. ( A )

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,670 posts
68 reviews
7. Re: How long to stay in Lucca?

Monique's apartment is very nice, great location, well equipped and with a bathroom to die for. Are there just three of you going? I think it would be a bit of a squeeze for more than two adults and two kids. The set up is of a double bed on a mezzanine and then sofa bed downstairs. We put our little girl upstairs, so we could stay downstairs in the evenings. The sofabed was very comfy too. If you have seen the thread I think you have then Maggiemoon did end up going to the apartment and also spoke very highly of it and of Monique. My Mum and a friend also have the apartment booked for a long weekend in April - so yes I can and have recommended it.

salisbury, england
Level Contributor
32 posts
15 reviews
8. Re: How long to stay in Lucca?

Peggypatch - thanks for that recommendation; we've booked for a week there - looking forward to it!

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,670 posts
68 reviews
9. Re: How long to stay in Lucca?

Excellent - I know you'll all have a wonderful time in lovely Lucca. There are two bike rental places just steps away from the apartment at the Porta Santa Maria. I'm sure your son will enjoy whizzing around the walls. There are also two very good delis only steps away, not to mention the restaurants, so no excuse not to eat and drink well too!

Hope you have a great trip

10. Re: How long to stay in Lucca?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 09:19