We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non-touristy places to stay

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Non-touristy places to stay

We are going to be in Lucca for about 5 days in early July and am wondering if anyone can recommend some non-touristy type places to stay in Lucca? There will be two couples traveling. Any ideas that you can give me on places to stay/things to do in the area would be much appreciated!

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,531 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Non-touristy places to stay

Lucca is a place where people go to work and tourism happens around them so there is no such thing as a touristy area but certainly there are back streets that you can melt into.

Try a visit up the garfagnana Valley to old town Barga.

Pisa is only 40 minutes away by train.

Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Non-touristy places to stay

Locanda Eremo Del Gusto near Montecarlo approx. 20 km from Lucca downtown is a place not many know. It has only few bedrooms,lucky are the ones who can be fit in.

www.eremodelgusto.com

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Non-touristy places to stay

We loved staying at the Ilaria. We've been trying to find an excuse to return (and have dinner at Bucca S'Antonio too)

NJ
Level Contributor
378 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Non-touristy places to stay

Well, hotels are by definition pretty much for tourists. Not sure if you're looking to stay outside the walls. But if you're looking to stay inside the walls (which I would recommend) I had very good experience at La Romea, a lovely B&B I stayed at for close to two weeks. More recently I stayed at San Luca Palace hotel which was also great.

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Non-touristy places to stay

Have a look at Piccolo Hotel Puccini, too. Fourteen rooms. Hospitable, local management and ownership. Sweet, simple. No lift or air cond., however, so decide just how "local" you want to be in July!

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Non-touristy places to stay

Thanks for all of your comments! They were all very helpful. Any suggestions on surrounding areas not to be missed??

South East England...
Level Contributor
3,989 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Non-touristy places to stay

Hi,

We stay in Lucca through July and like to visit Montecarlo which is a short drive of about half an hour from Lucca. It is a pleasant hilltop town, very small but with dramatic vistas of the surrounding countryside and a good place to have lunch. Also we drive through the Garfagnana to the ski resort of Abetone, through the hills with the fabulous scenery finally reaching the fir trees and alpine style chalets. It's such a contrast to the medieval city of Lucca. Coming back we take the road to Modena then the signs to Lucca this takes you down the other side of the valley with different scenery and very narrow roads but very scenic all the same, this way takes about 2 hrs.

mesh

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Non-touristy places to stay

May I ask why you are staying for 5 days? Lucca has truly amazing walls that take you back to the time when walls were needed for the defense of the town...but other than that it is only worth a couple of days at most...IMO. If you are using it for a base, will have a rental car, and will be driving around the area, I would find a place nearby and spend a day or two exploring the town. Not a whole lot to see after the walls...and walking around inside the town (once out of the town centre) seemed rather claustrophobic to me. But, I'm sure others will not agree...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,284 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Non-touristy places to stay

We had 6 days in Lucca and loved it. Mind you we also visited Florence, took drives to Barga and the Madellenas Bridge, saw the faded glories of the Villa Garzoni at Collodi and also the lovely town of Castelnuovo del Garfagna.

In Lucca we visited the museum with an exhibition of Matteo Civitelli (local to the area) saw the duomo and the Museo of the duomo which is particularly well curated, saw Palazzo Pfanner where they filmed Portrait of a Lady, saw St Zita in the side chapel of the calm church of San Freddiano, wandered the Via Filungo admiring the art deco shop fronts and visited the markets. Funnily enough we neither walked the walls nor climbed the tower. Loved it!

albuquerque
Level Contributor
976 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Non-touristy places to stay

I'll disagree with Moltobene - in my experience 5 days is not too much for Lucca by any means. It's a wonderful town with much to do - certainly more than just walk the walks. There are many lovely churches, beautiful palazzi (don't miss the Palazzo Pfanner and it's gardens), wonderful restaurants, history and architecture galore, and it's just a lovely town. It's especially nice in the evening when all the "day trippers" have left town.

It's easy to visit Pisa and Florence from a base in Lucca and if you have a car it's wonderful to visit many of the small nearby villages.

For an in-depth look at Lucca, and help in planning, take a look at the Wanderers Guide to Lucca by Brian Lindquist.

As Savannah mentioned above the Piccolo Hotel Puccini is delightful.