We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

parking in Lucca

pab
us
8 posts
Save Topic
parking in Lucca

We will be staying outside Lucca for 3 days, and driving into the city. Is there parking in or near the walls? Also, can anyone tell me when and where the antique and craft markets are?

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
19,146 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: parking in Lucca

Parking inside Lucca is expensive and scarce. However there is a large car park outside the city walls close to Porta San Donato on the west of the city. It was free whe we were last there so hope it still is. There is a ring road immediately outside the wide city walls.

Markets A general market is held in Via dei Bacchettoni ( on the eastern side) on Wednesdays and saturdays.

The Antiques market is in Piazza San Martino towards the south side of the city on the 3rd weekend of every month

The Craft market is in Piazzza San Giusto on the last weekend of each month but we have always missed it. We will be there on the 24th September so if not too late for your visit we could tell you what we thought of it.

pab
us
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: parking in Lucca

Robert,

Thanks for the info. We will also be there on the 24th. We fly in that day. Once you park, are there buses close by that take you to your destination? Do they take cash, or do we need to buy tokens?

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,617 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: parking in Lucca

No need to park inside but around the perimeter near the Termini(railstation) there is plenty...... make sure that it is in designated area as we copped 2 fines for E72 in the same afternoon. The designated area is not necessarily where other cars are parked or where the ever helpful rail staff told us to park.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,617 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: parking in Lucca

Assuming these market locations are within the city walls then it's not far to walk from that car-park. However I find Lucca very difficult to keep my bearings in, having got well and truly lost on both visits despite having a map! Just keep asking!

Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: parking in Lucca

"Fair" warning! - The weekend of Sept. 24th is the conclusion (more or less) to Lucca's month long "Settembre Lucchese - fair." Traffic/parking may be a nightmare, and the urban police (vigili urbani) will be fining and TOWING (expensive to get the car back, let alone the fright and bother).

While I'm from the USA, I've lived here for 22 years - so permit me to give a few suggestions:

1. Signs are hard to read while driving along Lucca's ring road, local drivers are tailgators, so be careful!

2. Around the train station the is a rare free parking space (not termini - that's Rome - it's just called the 'stazione' at Lucca), you can try...

3. Blue parking spaces are pay parking - yellow are reserved for residents/police, what ever , one risks towing - white are free, but will be rare on that weekend.

4. Traffic will be heavy, and disrupted by various events - since you are staying out side the city walls, during the day you might want to try the mass transport system (locally ends around 8:30pm) - it depends on where you will be staying, whether this is a valid option or not (tickets sold at tabacco shops (blue sign with a 'T'), probably 80 cents each way.

5. outside the walls -umm...hard to explain, depends on what direction one is coming from...Carducci, and Patalucci (porta San Donato), both from about 300 yards from the city walls entrances...however traffic will be messy for Patalucci, between fairs and the carnival ride area...it will be safe to walk at night, not safe to cross the ring road if not on a ped xing, and even then...any time of day!

Hope I've been of some help - check with whomever is hosting you.

pab
us
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: parking in Lucca

Thanks for all the suggestions. We need all the help we can get!!