We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lucca for seniors

London
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Lucca for seniors

How easy would it be for a 75-year-old of limited mobility to get around? What are distances like and what's the best area to stay in? Thank you in advance!

10 replies to this topic
South East England...
Level Contributor
5,658 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Lucca for seniors

Lucca is a small flat city, it's possible to walk wall to wall within 20/25 minutes, the streets are cobbled or have large flagstones/tarmac. The one area we would personally never stay in is the Piazza Anfiteatro as it has many restaurants, bars etc. with outside seating that open till very late at night with all the associated clamour. Hope this is of some help.

mesh

WEST LOTHIAN
Level Contributor
220 posts
35 reviews
2. Re: Lucca for seniors

I loved Lucca...lots of interesting history streets shops churches and many restaurants.we stayed in via Elisa..very quiet.I think it took about maybe twenty minutes to walk one side of city to the other. Lots of slabbed pavement etc and .lots of bikes! Level everywhere. One thing I would watch out for is the type of accommodation..we were on first floor..stairs were steep and I know my husband would not have managed them due to his limited mobility.

London
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
3. Re: Lucca for seniors

Very good to know. Thank you for the information.

Newry, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
4. Re: Lucca for seniors

Please read my post re sprained ankle...just in case!Am single solo arrived Lucca on Saturday evening... Went over on ankle Sunday pm.!Just unfortunate,because Lucca is such an easy place to get around normally.Much more compact than I thought and never too far from anywhere if you inside the walls.You don't state if you can manage stairs ....important as not many historic properties have lifts.I stayed near St.Michele in forno and found it convenient as arrived fro Pisa by bus ......thought taxi would be needed but no....do look closely at map.Dont be put off doing walls ,very flat ,and one of my highlights before injury.If you have company you will be fine .....difficult if on your own and problems arise ,but this forum is excellent!

London
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
5. Re: Lucca for seniors

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to respond despite your sprained ankle!! I am much reassured having read what you've said about Lucca's size and its walls. I am able to climb short flights of stairs and can walk short-to-medium distances slowly and with breaks. I still have some months before my visit so I'll have time to plan things properly. I do hope you manage to enjoy the rest of your stay in Lucca and that you have a safe journey back home. All the best.

South East England...
Level Contributor
5,658 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Lucca for seniors

Senioisolo, just out of curiosity you say that you are staying in a hotel near Piazza San Michele, is it the Piccolo Hotel Puccini?

mesh

Newry, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
7. Re: Lucca for seniors

Yes Mesh, but all is sorted now weekend over!Paolo and Franco have been wonderfully helpful and I can't recommend,, enough.....wonderful!So clean ,convenient and friendly. An excellent choice ,apart from small issue on Sunday......when to be honest I was probably overwrought, would come back in a heartbeat!

South East England...
Level Contributor
5,658 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Lucca for seniors

Over the years I've read other regular Lucca forum contributors singing that hotel's praises.

mesh

Newry, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
9. Re: Lucca for seniors

No trouble, minesweeper.Wonder if like myself you also have breathing problems cause a few places I contacted had many stairs.Where I did stay (see Mesh's reply above )was on first floor but doable.....and I was delighted with its cleanliness convenience etc.Unless you want something more luxurious this small hotel was excellent.Another thing I realised was ,some properties have staff for a few hours but may have automatic check -in with no one there at night .This would not suit everyone.I coped much better with my breathing than I thought everywhere is.sheltered and no wind and of course flat . Good luck ,nice to have time to relish your trip ! Take care!

Newry, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
10. Re: Lucca for seniors

Rightly so .......not luxury but more than most people expect for a budget hotel.Location was hard to beat ,my single room overlooked Puccini monument at back and earlier today chap strumming in square....bliss!!It is small( 10 rooms I think )but has so much going for it!.Also fresh fruit just across passeo,sometimes hard to get!

Reply to: Lucca for seniors
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted