We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Senior solo traveller,,twisted ankle badly

Newry, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Senior solo traveller,,twisted ankle badly

Arrived Lucca late Saturday,here until Wednesday,,have badly twisted ankle (yesterday afternoon).Hotel not much help 2 hrs wait for ice,and not eaten since lunch yesterday .On limited budget but would welcome suggestions .,Is there local rickshaw ,pedalled bike,or is local transport hop-on hop-off with daily ticket.Doesnt' help I have no Italian,Ideas appreciated

15 replies to this topic
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
508 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Senior solo traveller,,twisted ankle badly

First of all have you seen a doctor to make sure that your ankle is twisted and not something worse? Is it strapped up? I would ask to speak to your hotel manager to insist on more assistance with meals, medical and translation needs.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
45,649 posts
2. Re: Senior solo traveller,,twisted ankle badly

Your hotel should be able to arrange to at least get you some food - even if just a panini or something?

And, the hotel doesn't know about local transportation options? I am only aware of the bus system and the bikes - Hopefully someone else here will know if there are other options -

I suggest, if you have not yet done so, going to a Farmacia and seeing if they can assist you in perhaps suggesting an physician to have your ankle checked out - "twisted" can mean different things: sprained, broken, etc - Good idea to know.

Your travel insurance should cover the cost and, overall, costs for medical care are usually pretty low in comparison to other places but being from the UK, you may have reciprocity but I believe you need a particular card for that (you would need to check as I am not sure about that)

South East England...
Level Contributor
5,661 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Senior solo traveller,,twisted ankle badly

If it was me I would ask the hotel to get a taxi to take me to the Emergency department at the San Luca Hospital just outside the walls. You will need to take your passport and your European health insurance card if you have one. Or at least get to the Misericordia in Piazza San Salvatore, just along from Piazza San Michele, for advice. Do hope you find treatment quickly.

mesh

Newry, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
4. Re: Senior solo traveller,,twisted ankle badly

Thank you ,this hotel is breakfast only but was surprised when I asked did they have cool water to be told tap water was drinkable (and lukewarm)said I hadn't eaten from lunch but nothing offered;to be fair it was Sunday and small hotel!,virtually one person!Things better today directed to pharmacist ...hobbling and got crutches also to ambulance where ice pack and compression applied...much better .Thank you for your input ,am medical so knew it was bad sprain ..slowly recuperating .

South East England...
Level Contributor
5,661 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Senior solo traveller,,twisted ankle badly

Pleased to hear that it wasn't a break. Sounds like you went to the Misericordia in Piazza San Salvatore for ice pack and compression? Do hope you have a quick recovery.

mesh

Newry, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
6. Re: Senior solo traveller,,twisted ankle badly

Thank you Mesh was directed to Misericordia ...refused ambulance last night as was assisted by American ortho doc who agreed it was "just "bad sprain......Irish luck to trip in front of English speaking doctor and Italian guide....got me taxi back to hotel...Misericordia gave ice pack and compression and got crutch at wonderful,helpful old -style pharmacy across from pen shop in ,I think, Via Roma.Feeling so much more reassured, many thanks for responding.

South East England...
Level Contributor
5,661 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Senior solo traveller,,twisted ankle badly

Yes Farmacia Melosi is most helpful, in fact it's the only pharmacy we use in Lucca for advice and prescriptions.

Do hope you get to see as much of Lucca as possible. There is sometimes a horse drawn carriage tour departing from Piazza Antelminelli, just by the Duomo, that might be of interest.

mesh

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
508 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: Senior solo traveller,,twisted ankle badly

So pleased that you have had medical attention and are managing to get around a bit. Hope you can still enjoy your holiday.

Newry, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
9. Re: Senior solo traveller,,twisted ankle badly

Thanks again ,Mesh.Read a lot of your posts before coming to Lucca.....you give so much good info...much appreciated.

South East England...
Level Contributor
5,661 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Senior solo traveller,,twisted ankle badly

You're most welcome!

mesh

Reply to: Senior solo traveller,,twisted ankle badly
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted