We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lucca Comic and Game Festival Disruption

Boston...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Lucca Comic and Game Festival Disruption

I’ve planned an 11 day trip to Italy 10/7-10/18 with 3 days in Lucca 10/12,13,14. Thanks to this great forum I just saw that the festival will be setting up and booths will be open on 10/13. Is this correct or am I overreacting? It’s not anything we are interested in and it would ruin our visit to Lucca. I still have time to change reservations for our other stops but am wondering if I should just a avoid Lucca. We are traveling by train so would need to be in another place accessible by train. Not really interested in Pisa other than for a quick visit. Thanks so much for all your help!

19 replies to this topic
cheshire, england
Level Contributor
6,964 posts
79 reviews
1. Re: Lucca Comic and Game Festival Disruption

We were in Lucca shortly after the Comics & Games Festival in 2016.. Tents/marquees were still being dismantled in Piazza Napoleone and on the walls but it didn’t spoil things in the slightest for us (although we *had* stayed in Lucca three times previous to that visit)

I don’t know how easy it would be to “ignore” the festival if it was in full swing... and it will almost certainly seem like a different city than usual.. Have you visited before?

Edited: 12 August 2018, 20:01
Boston...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Lucca Comic and Game Festival Disruption

We have never visited Lucca but have spent time in Florence and Chianti. We loved visiting the quiet villages near Radda. Our time in Florence was very busy with sightseeing so had hoped to spend another day there using Lucca as our base. . So I guess I have to figure out if the festival will be in full swing that weekend and if so change our plans. I was really looking forward to seeing Lucca!

Thanks for your quick response.

South East England...
Level Contributor
5,642 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Lucca Comic and Game Festival Disruption

The 13th of October 2018 is when the exhibitions/mostre for the Comics & Games open around the city, so the pavilions/tents will be in-situ by then. The actual festival dates are 31st October till 4th November: https:/…

mesh

United States
Level Contributor
10,089 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: Lucca Comic and Game Festival Disruption

The festival will not be in full swing until the end of the month. You will still be able to enjoy Lucca.

TAB

South East England...
Level Contributor
5,642 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Lucca Comic and Game Festival Disruption

TAB, will you be back in Lucca again this autumn?

mesh

United States
Level Contributor
10,089 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Lucca Comic and Game Festival Disruption

Yes, for a month after Comics and Games

TAB

South East England...
Level Contributor
5,642 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Lucca Comic and Game Festival Disruption

Things change every time we go back, e.g. Crai supermercato in Via del Moro has closed down, sad to see a Christmas tree in the window in June (Simply City has taken over the premises, which opened near the end of our stay), have seen that one of the men from the Crai deli counter is now a delivery driver in the city and the lady (boss?) is now back working in Piazza del Carmine at Conad City. Lots of construction work being done on the ring road outside of Porta Sant'Anna for the new roundabout and underground crossing. Hope you have another good stay in Lucca!

mesh

United States
Level Contributor
10,089 posts
15 reviews
8. Re: Lucca Comic and Game Festival Disruption

Yes, I noticed changes when I was there in April for a month. The CRAI was gone then and absorbed into Tambellini. Old favorite stores close and new ones open. They had finshed the new roundabout outside Porto Elisa. I guess the one outside Porta Sant’Anna will be similar. I still like the small town feel when I return to stores or restaurants and am greeted like I was just there last week.

Do you try the new restaurant in P. San Francisco where Pecora Nera used to be? I ate there a lot.

TAB

South East England...
Level Contributor
5,642 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Lucca Comic and Game Festival Disruption

Thanks for the tip. Also in Piazza San Francesco on Wednesdays a new small "Isola Bio" market has started, bought some very nice pecorino fresco from the cheese stall. Times in summer from 16.30hrs, winter 14.30hrs.

mesh

United States
Level Contributor
10,089 posts
15 reviews
10. Re: Lucca Comic and Game Festival Disruption

Thanks, I'll check it out.

TAB

Reply to: Lucca Comic and Game Festival Disruption
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted