We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lucca 5 Day Itinerary

Hadley...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Lucca 5 Day Itinerary

We’re headed to Lucca next week for five days. Can anybody provide a few items to add to our days in Lucca? We may rent a car for at least a day so we can get down to Montepulciano and Montalcino. Otherwise wide open.

11 replies to this topic
South East England...
Level Contributor
5,644 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Lucca 5 Day Itinerary

To the north of Lucca there is the Valle del Serchio and the rugged Garfagnana region: www.turismo.garfagnana.eu/en/territorio.html

mesh

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
12,121 posts
565 reviews
2. Re: Lucca 5 Day Itinerary

I don’t know what you want to see or do!

Why don’t you get Michelin Green Guide for Tuscany? It describes, with specificity, lovely Tuscan towns and villages and also contains driving itineraries. It has a great section on Lucca.

I think renting a car overnight is a great idea.

Hadley...
Level Contributor
39 posts
3. Re: Lucca 5 Day Itinerary

Thanks. Other than a day trip or two (beach? Siena? Pisa?), I think we more or less want to spend time in Lucca and keep things easy going. Our apartment is within the walls and we should be able to get around town pretty easily. What are the don't miss highlights there?

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
182 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Lucca 5 Day Itinerary

Hi

as said, a tour of rugged Garfagnana could be a great choice. You need a car, and this is a tour i suggest to you: start with a visit at the ponte del diavolo, in Ponte a Moriano, (approx 20 kms from Lucca), than a visit at the unknown Eremo di Calomini, built against a store, than have lunch in Barga, lovely medieval village with one of the most beautiful romanic stile church i have ever seen. On the way back down to Lucca, visit Bagni di Lucca, a thermal village and the chain bridge in Fornoli. This with regard to the day trip outside the town.

In Lucca, you have a plenty of things to visit: the walls, its churchs, its squares and towers, its museums, the botanic Garden (not a big one, but a very pleasant and peaceful place), or just lose yourself in the narrow streets of this fantastic town, and you will see that it will deserve to you many surprises

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
182 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Lucca 5 Day Itinerary

I forgot: just outside the town you can have a tour of the antiche ville della lucchesia. In particular, don’t skip the villa Reale in Marlia. For a tour into the wineries and a wine tasting you can go to Montecarlo di Lucca (where you can enjoy a great view on the town also)

South East England...
Level Contributor
5,644 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Lucca 5 Day Itinerary

You can climb the "Torre Guinigi" on via Sant’Andrea (the tower with trees growing on the top) also the "Torre delle Ore" (clock tower) in Via Fillungo. This is a link to the city tourist web site with information on what to see: http://www.turismo.lucca.it/en/within-city

mesh

Hadley...
Level Contributor
39 posts
7. Re: Lucca 5 Day Itinerary

This is wonderful! Thanks!

South East England...
Level Contributor
5,644 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Lucca 5 Day Itinerary

This also might be of interest: http://en.turislucca.com/look-at-lucca/

mesh

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
182 posts
10 reviews
9. Re: Lucca 5 Day Itinerary

You are welcome. Have a nice stay in the beautiful Lucca!

South East England...
Level Contributor
5,644 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Lucca 5 Day Itinerary

As you say that you are staying in an apartment, I'm assuming that you might have some meals in, if so this info might be of some use; here is a list of some places that I frequently shop at when staying in Lucca each summer. Tuccori on Via Santa Croce for prepared food, deli items eg. grilled veg, salads and cooked meats, ragu (I take loads back home) and if you like lasagne theirs is the best both my husband and I have tasted, usually they make it on Thursdays and Saturdays. They also have a butchers counter at the back of the shop from which I found the meat to be of very good quality. Veg and fruit from Ortofrutta in Piazza Salvatore, you choose your produce, then get it weighed and are given a ticket which you take to the cashier and make the payment. For focaccia and breads Forno Casali (personally I think it sells the best in Lucca) which is near the end of Via Guinigi also Forno Amedeo Giusti on Via Santa Lucia (behind Piazza San Michele). Cakes, Pasticceria Buralli in Piazza del Carmine, Pasticceria Dianda in Via della Rosa and for lovely tarts Panificio Chifenti on Via San Paolino. For wine we find that the supermarket Esselunga, just outside the walls on Viale Carlo del Prete, has a good selection at reasonable prices.

mesh

Reply to: Lucca 5 Day Itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted