We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Talk to me about air conditioning in Lucca apartments...

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Topic
Talk to me about air conditioning in Lucca apartments...

We are considering a trip to Tuscany in July 2019 with an apartment in Lucca as our home base for a month. I understand the climate will be hot and humid outside. A/C is a must. I have found in my travels that different parts of the world have a different concept of what "air conditioning" means... What is typical in Lucca? If there's a heatwave, and you're staying in a vacation rental with air conditioning on full blast, would you expect to feel cold, cool, lukewarm, or sweating through your sheets?

10 replies to this topic
South East England...
Level Contributor
5,439 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Talk to me about air conditioning in Lucca apartments...

We've stayed in Lucca (for many, many years) mid June till end of July and the apartment that we've rented for a number of years has only A/C in the living room so at night we either have the windows open or use a fan. Other apartments we rented in the city have had A/C in all rooms but we've turned it off at night and some have had only ceiling fans. Just to note that we are from the UK so are not really used to having A/C in our homes.

mesh

Edited: 17 May 2018, 18:09
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
17,786 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Talk to me about air conditioning in Lucca apartments...

I don't think there is any other place on earth that uses blast freeze levels of AC like the States. If that level of cool is required for your comfort you should not travel during the summer.

South East England...
Level Contributor
5,439 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Talk to me about air conditioning in Lucca apartments...

elstravels, we did a side trip from Lucca to Bologna last July and had to turn off the very powerful air con in the studio apartment attached to the hotel as that really felt like we were in a freezer!

mesh

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
17,786 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Talk to me about air conditioning in Lucca apartments...

This is one of those issues that is nearly impossible to describe for someone else because there are such varying degrees of comfort levels. I'd probably be with you Mesh, as I spend the entire summer carrying around sweaters so I can deal with the chill in shops, restaurants, etc. Other members of my family sit at the same table complaining they are sweltering.

South East England...
Level Contributor
5,439 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Talk to me about air conditioning in Lucca apartments...

Believe me elstravels, this was extremely fierce we didn't even have to put the wine/beer in the fridge!

mesh

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Talk to me about air conditioning in Lucca apartments...

Thanks, I know it's subjective but the discussion does help to shed some light. I'll just say as an American, the strongest A/C I ever encountered was in Hong Kong, where they keep the store fronts open and use the blasting deep-freeze air conditioners to entice customers in off the streets. Many different cultures and climates in this world...

Let's put the question this way: You're in Lucca. It's 30 outside. You set the thermostat to 22 degrees. Would you expect it to reach 22 or will it have a hard time cooling below 24 or 25?

South East England...
Level Contributor
5,439 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Talk to me about air conditioning in Lucca apartments...

Can't give assurances for every A/C unit in Lucca but the ones we've experienced have had no difficulty reaching the temperature that was set.

mesh

South East England...
Level Contributor
5,439 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Talk to me about air conditioning in Lucca apartments...

Just to add that most apartments are in very old buildings which have thick walls keeping them cool in summer and warm in winter plus keeping the window shutters closed during the heat of the day helps to keep the rooms cool.

mesh

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Talk to me about air conditioning in Lucca apartments...

That's reassuring. Thank you!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
134 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Talk to me about air conditioning in Lucca apartments...

Italians are not big on AC. We stayed in an apartment in Florence and sweltered. We complained and the leasing agent gave us lip service. We decided to look for the breaker panel and found that they had been turned off at the panel. After that all was fine.

Reply to: Talk to me about air conditioning in Lucca apartments...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted