We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

An afternoon in Lucca-hiring bikes/parking

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
465 posts
10 reviews
An afternoon in Lucca-hiring bikes/parking

We have just 1 day to do both Pisa and Lucca in June. I know we won’t scratch the surface but wanted opinions. We are travelling from north of Florence so are planning on booking the leaning tower about 11, having a picnic lunch there and then travelling to Lucca.

Which is the best way to travel from Pisa?

Which parking are we best to use coming from that direction (we will have a 9 seat minivan)

We are a group of 5 adults, a 5 year old and a 1 year old.

I’d like to spend the afternoon biking round the walls, I’ve read about various playgrounds on and near the walls, following this we’ll walk in to the centre to find somewhere for dinner.

Do you have to book bike hire? I’m thinking it’ll be about 2pm but can’t be certain. We have been looking at the Surrey bikes-will the 1yr old be okay in the front of them? Is there anywhere to put a buggy on them? (If not hopefully we can rent a bike near the car and just pop back to get the buggy from the car after we’ve finished with the bikes). Are there always Surrey bikes available?

Can anyone recommend anywhere for dinner that is cheap and cheerful, ideally serving chicken and chips (we have one fussy member of the party) and then simple pizza/pasta.

Thanks in advance everyone

15 replies to this topic
South East England...
Level Contributor
5,571 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: An afternoon in Lucca-hiring bikes/parking

Here is a link to the public car parks in Lucca, outside of the ZTL zone, as you can see you can park around the ring road and enter through the nearest "porta": http://www.metrosrl.it/en/park/map

mesh

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
465 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: An afternoon in Lucca-hiring bikes/parking

Thanks I was looking near the train station as I’ve found somewhere to hire bikes from near there. Are there any that are big ones? Or will we be okay finding a space on a Monday afternoon in June?

South East England...
Level Contributor
5,571 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: An afternoon in Lucca-hiring bikes/parking

There is parking on the ring road near the train station just outside the Porta San Pietro entrance to the city the charges between 08.00 and 20.00 hrs are 20 cents for the first hour then 1 euro/hour thereafter with a maximum charge per day of 6 euros. Note that as you turn off Viale Regina Margherita the 20 or so parking spaces immediately in front of the Porta San Pietro entrance are 1 euro per hour not the 20 cents ones.

mesh

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
465 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: An afternoon in Lucca-hiring bikes/parking

Thanks that sounds great. We can head to the 20cents ones. Will be need to book the bikes or just turn up?

South East England...
Level Contributor
5,571 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: An afternoon in Lucca-hiring bikes/parking

Just turn up with some ID. There is a rental place just inside Porta San Pietro on Via Francesco Carrara, is that the place you are considering?

mesh

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
465 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: An afternoon in Lucca-hiring bikes/parking

It was the tourist Center Lucca is been looking at. Does the one near the gate have a website? Thanks so much for your assistance

South East England...
Level Contributor
5,571 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: An afternoon in Lucca-hiring bikes/parking

It's called Servizio di noleggio biciclette but is a small outfit with no website as far as I know. They do seem to stay open quite late in the summer when we are staying in the city June/July each year.

mesh

Edited: 15 May 2018, 11:30
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
465 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: An afternoon in Lucca-hiring bikes/parking

I’ve looked on google and they have some photos, this is exactly what we are looking for! Thank you!

South East England...
Level Contributor
5,571 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: An afternoon in Lucca-hiring bikes/parking

You're welcome, re: your dinner question (chicken and chips) take a look at Lo Skianto on Via Vittorio Veneto, just past the bike hire place, to see if they have it on the menu.

mesh

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
465 posts
10 reviews
10. Re: An afternoon in Lucca-hiring bikes/parking

I think I’ve found the spaces you are referring to on google street view. Are the lines for the specs on the ring road in blue? As a back up is the Carducci car park good?

Reply to: An afternoon in Lucca-hiring bikes/parking
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted