We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for ten day stay in Italy.. wedding in Viareggio

Ireland
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ideas for ten day stay in Italy.. wedding in Viareggio

Wedding on Viareggio in early June. I have booked hotel for 2 nights there, for convenience , and am wondering what to do with the other days. (I've been to the Cinque Terre before, though only a couple of days there. Ive also been to Pisa and San Gimignano and Siena briefly. I would happily visit all again.. but maybe I'd be better to see somewhere different..). Any ideas, where to stay, what to do? prefer not big sassy hotels.Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
169 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for ten day stay in Italy.. wedding in Viareggio

Suggest you stay in Lucca. Good transport links for days out or just enjoy being in Lucca itself. There are some lovely bed and breakfast options e.g. Guest Apartment Margherita near the Guinigi Tower which has been number one on this site and is very comfortable and airy.

It is owned and run by a lovely young couple who will give you all the info. you need about this lovely little city. There are also numerous eateries, at all prices, where you can enjoy great food and local wines.

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
13,838 posts
732 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for ten day stay in Italy.. wedding in Viareggio

I would also suggest Lucca. Viareggio has a long-lasting fame of posh seaside resort, but it's a really plain town in my opinion; moreover, June would be high season and you're likely to find something more budget-friendly in Lucca. Lucca is anyway very beautiful and absolutely worth staying some days.

Boston Area
Level Contributor
25 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for ten day stay in Italy.. wedding in Viareggio

I also recommend that you visit Lucca. The train station is right next to the city walls, which are topped by a lovely park. You can rent bikes or walk the entire circle on top of the walls. It is a really charming city.

I would also recommend that you head up to the Alpi Apuane, a mountain range - visible from Viareggio - with great hiking and marble mines.

If you are open to driving south a bit, Volterra is a beautiful hill town, not quite as far as Sienna.

Ireland
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for ten day stay in Italy.. wedding in Viareggio

Thanks for all recommendations. Final plan is to got to Bonassola (2 days), then Florence (3 days), then to the wedding.. then a day or two in Lucca.. One more query, please.. :) Which is the best online platform to book train tickets? Thanks!

Level Contributor
676 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas for ten day stay in Italy.. wedding in Viareggio

You should only book trains on www.trenitalia.com.

Note that regionale trains don't sell out so booking is not useful.

Edited: 20 May 2018, 14:43
Ireland
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas for ten day stay in Italy.. wedding in Viareggio

Thanks. Maybe ill just get ticket at tge station so. Are online prices cheaper than at the station?

Reply to: Ideas for ten day stay in Italy.. wedding in Viareggio
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted