We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't Visit Lucca - go elsewhere because it is a rip off!

Chilmark, United...
2 posts
Don't Visit Lucca - go elsewhere because it is a rip off!

Having read lots of posts and received a driving fine my advice is not to touch Lucca with a bargepole. Badly signed, a money raising scam on the part of the local authorities (if it wasn't they they would have signed it better. Incredibly hard to find our hotel, almost impossible in the dark. Plus not a vast amount to see the next compared to other more beautiful cities in the area.

Truly wish we had not gone.

29 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
98,734 posts
17 reviews
21. Re: Don't Visit Lucca - go elsewhere because it is a rip off!

Well, for what it is worth, we have had 4 driving holidays in Italy without getting one ticket for any kind of offense. The ZTLs are well signed, and it is no problem to stay out of them.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
74,652 posts
478 reviews
22. Re: Don't Visit Lucca - go elsewhere because it is a rip off!

I'm sure it would be for me. I have little confidence in my own abilities!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
98,734 posts
17 reviews
23. Re: Don't Visit Lucca - go elsewhere because it is a rip off!

Oh, come on Roj. Do you doubt your ability to recognise "No entry" and "No left turn" signs? Why is it more difficult to recognise and obey a "No vehicles" sign?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
24. Re: Don't Visit Lucca - go elsewhere because it is a rip off!

In case any driver might be might be put off by the original post, it is very easy to recognise the ZLT (limited traffic zones). There is one near where I am presently staying. There are white lines at the entrance to the zone with ZLT in large letters. There is also a pole with three large signs:

1. An electronic display with a read X and a scrolling warning in Italian and English.

2. A second sign with the words Zona Traffico Limito and a standard 'no entry' red circle.

3. A third sign showing those who are authorised to enter (e.g. police, disabled drivers, etc.). However, there is no mention of unprepared tourists!

Furthermore, there are two public car parks close to the zone were a confused driver could easily stop to ask directions.

Honestly, I cannot imagine how anyone could unknowingly drive into a restricted zone in Lucca.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
40,751 posts
18 reviews
25. Re: Don't Visit Lucca - go elsewhere because it is a rip off!

This is just more proof the OP did NO research before her trip. ZTL's are very easy to avoid and often come with warnings prior to approaching them. I can't wait for the OP to come back telling us to avoid the other cities/towns she drove into and will be getting fined for.

Donna

London
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
153 reviews
26. Re: Don't Visit Lucca - go elsewhere because it is a rip off!

These problems could be easily avoided if people had to pass an IQ test before being issued with a passport.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
12,673 posts
8 reviews
27. Re: Don't Visit Lucca - go elsewhere because it is a rip off!

These 3 links will contribute to doing research on the driving laws in Italy:

https:/…Driving.In.Italy.html

http://driventoit.blogspot.com.au/

If the driver is from a non EU country, an Int'l Driving Permit is required by law.

aci.it/laci/driving-in-italy/driving-in-ital…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3,048 posts
54 reviews
28. Re: Don't Visit Lucca - go elsewhere because it is a rip off!

"These problems could be easily avoided if people had to pass an IQ test before being issued with a passport"

Now there's a great idea, less crowds at historical sites, more room on public transport............oh wait, I might not get a passport.

Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
10 reviews
29. Re: Don't Visit Lucca - go elsewhere because it is a rip off!

Hilarious!

I'm hoping for less people like the OP to be in Italy when I am there in September.

And I will be in Lucca, and love it as much as I did a few years ago.

Reply to: Don't Visit Lucca - go elsewhere because it is a rip off!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted