We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a guide for Via Ferrata in 17 Dec

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Need a guide for Via Ferrata in 17 Dec

Does anyone know if it is possible to via ferrata in the winter? Will be in Lucca on 17 Dec. We'll need a guide as we're beginners and would love to give it a go.

Mentioned in this post
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
6 replies to this topic
Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need a guide for Via Ferrata in 17 Dec

I would definitely avoid a via ferrata in wintertime. Also vie ferrate are not for everyone, you need quite a technical preparation before doing such a thing.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,867 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need a guide for Via Ferrata in 17 Dec

Assume you mean one of the via ferratas in the Apuan Alps, the mountains nearest Lucca.

A few of those are at low elevation and possibly doable also in winter time (depending on weather conditions). Contact www.prorockoutdoor.it

Edited: 01 December 2017, 09:38
Mentioned in this post
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Level Contributor
2,543 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need a guide for Via Ferrata in 17 Dec

it really depends on the weather (if it's bad, you must avoid the vie ferrate!!) and on the snow conditions. During winter it's also possible not to find snow on the mountains, so vie ferrate are faisable, with the proper equipment.

I don't know the conditions of the Apuane Alps right now, but for sure in two weeks it could be very different.

So before starting, ask for the snow conditions in the Apuan Alps, and look for the weather forecast. And of course, in the case it will be faisable, you have to rent the ferrata kit...

You may ask for the conditions of the mountains the Club Alpino Italiano (CAI), in Lucca you can find. Here their website (in italian, but you can understand it with google translate) with the contacts

www.cailucca.it/index.php…

or you could also contact the CAI of Carrara, here their website where you can find their contacts:

www.caicarrara.it

And here a website with a detailed description of the vie ferrate in the Apuan Alps (Alpi Apuane), with a few pictures

www.vieferrate.it/pag-relazioni/toscana.html

The website is in italian, but you can help yourself with google translate. And you can also search on Youtube to find videos about these vie ferrate, to get a better idea

Beside the difficult Monte Contrario ferrata, they are all relatively easy.

The Malfatti is not really a ferrata, it would be better to define it as an easier equipped path/sentiero attrezzato. Just the Tordini - Galligani at the Foce Siggioli is more challenging (and is possibly the most beautiful one, with great views on the north face of Pizzo d’Uccello). But if you don't have any ferrata experience, may be I would not start with it...

Last, if you go to the Apuan Alps I would suggest you to visit (if it's possible in december, I don't know) the marble caves of Carrara, and try the famous lardo of Colonnata! The marble caves were the same ones used by the Roman Empire, collecting the marble in Luni (it's possible to see the archaeological area of Luni, not too far from Lucca), and later on by many many sculptors along the centuries, among them Michelangelo (who used to visit in person the caves to choose the marble for his statues).

Mentioned in this post
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Pizzo
Pizzo
Province of Vibo Valentia, Italy
Colonnata
Colonnata
268 Reviews
Carrara, Italy
FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,867 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need a guide for Via Ferrata in 17 Dec

#3 - The OP is admittedly a beginner, therefore is seeking -- very wisely -- a mountain guide. The Alpine Club is a volunteer organization, not a professional guiding company.

And it's marble quarries... not caves! And anyway tours of the quarries are not offered between December and February -- www.marmotour.com/index.php?id=info-contatti

Level Contributor
2,543 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need a guide for Via Ferrata in 17 Dec

@@ FF: just to clarify, I suggested to contact the CAI to ask for the mountain conditions, not to hire a guide (you will see it by yourself if you read again my post).

I don't know the level of ability of the Original Poster, but I think that for a very easy via ferrata (as some of the ones that can be found in the Apuan Alps) a guide is not so necessary, if the conditions are good, and if you learn by yourself how to proceed safely along a via ferrata; of course you must be fit enough and not too scared of vertigo. But of course hiring a guide would give much more safety for an activity that can be dangerous. I've never hired a guide for a via ferrata, but it's true that I learned with my father and my friends

Thanks for the correction about "caves" and "quarries": I always said "caves" because as you know they are called "cave" in italian... anyway yes, if they are closed (as I feared) there is no point in going there unfortunately.

Edited: 01 December 2017, 12:52
Level Contributor
2,543 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need a guide for Via Ferrata in 17 Dec

Ah, a good map on the web of the Alpi Apuane (which shows also the location of the vie ferrate) it's here:

http://alpi-apuane.webmapp.it/

Reply to: Need a guide for Via Ferrata in 17 Dec
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted