We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
322 posts
11 reviews
10 days

Have 10 days to divide between Lucca

and Venice.Was thinking 5 days in each.There is plenty to do/see in Lucca.Not sure about Venice. Positive thoughts please.

California
Level Contributor
12,787 posts
56 reviews
1. Re: 10 days

What do you mean you’re not sure if there’s plenty to do in Venice......Trish, highly recommend that you carve out some reading time in your guidebook, become more familiar with where you are going and make notes of what interests you. How do you know there’s a lot to see and do in Lucca? I’d allocate my time according to my plans in each place and the type of traveler I am. One can happily spend 5 nights in Venice if one does some homework, stays off the trodden tourists paths of San Marco and the Rialto and includes unstructured wandering time (with a good tourist map).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,878 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: 10 days

I like both cities, but I think there is actually more to see and do in Venice. It has more attractions, especially museums, and it is a larger city, especially when you include the outer islands like Burano, Torcello and Lido.

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
14,042 posts
785 reviews
3. Re: 10 days

Note that Venice is extremely popular for mass tourism and as a logical result it is particularly budget-unfriendly, especially as for accommodations. If you don't have any enormous motivations to go there, just don't go, or don't go for five days (which are not so few).

You don't specify exactly what you want to do or to see, but there are lots of less touristy cities in Italy which would allow a positive travel experience, offering lower prices, less touristyness and more authenticity than the most popular ones. Examples in Veneto (which would also allow an easy day trip to Venice) are Verona, Padua and Vicenza; otherwise, for instance, Bologna, Ferrara or Parma in Emilia-Romagna.

South East England...
Level Contributor
5,711 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: 10 days

This year we did a side trip of three nights from our annual summer holiday (of five weeks) in Lucca to Bologna and will do again in 2018 but personally found Bologna to be slightly more expensive.

mesh

5. Re: 10 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2018, 06:15