We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Lucca via public transportation

Colorado
Level Contributor
574 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Lucca via public transportation

We will be in Lucca for the first time for 4 nights, after visiting Rome, Orvieto and Florence (all of which we have been to previously). We originally thought of taking the train from Florence to Lucca, but as we want to see as much as possible, and yet just enjoy the town of Lucca itself, we are considering a private transfer from Florence with a full day of sightseeing along the way. We are thinking of visiting Pistoia, Montecatini Alto and possibly Montecarlo on the transfer. We may then want to do one day trip from Lucca by ourselves via public transportation (train/bus). We've never taken any busses in Italy before, only trains. This trip is the end of April, so it may not be worthwhile to visit Viareggio, but I was thinking of possibly Bagni di Lucca or Barga areas, however I've read that the shuttle busses back from the village(s) to the train station often do not run in the afternoon, so we may not be able to get back when we want? We've already been to Pisa and Cinque Terre also and do not need to visit again on this trip. If you have any suggestions on an easy day trip, please share. Otherwise, we are content to just enjoy our first visit in Lucca itself. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Orvieto
Orvieto
Province of Terni, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Montecatini Alto
Montecatini Alto
2,209 Reviews
Montecatini Terme, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Viareggio
Viareggio
Province of Lucca, Italy
Bagni di Pisa
Bagni di Pisa
931 Reviews
San Giuliano Terme, Italy
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
Italian Riviera, Italy
Pisa and Lucca Day Trip from Florence
122 Reviews
from US$59.20*
Free Cancellation
Pisa and Lucca Wine Tour from Florence
11 Reviews
from US$140.90*
Free Cancellation
Cinque Terre Tour Small Group Tour by...
33 Reviews
from US$170.60*
Free Cancellation
4 replies to this topic
South East England...
Level Contributor
5,201 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Lucca via public transportation

"I was thinking of possibly Bagni di Lucca or Barga areas, however I've read that the shuttle busses back from the village(s) to the train station often do not run in the afternoon, so we may not be able to get back when we want". Also do bear in mind that in Bagni di Lucca & Barga, like most other towns and villages in Italy, many places close down around 13.00hrs till 16.00hrs/16.30hrs, so aim to do most of your sightseeing in the morning or late afternoon if you decided to visit either town. We drive up to Bagni di Lucca for lunch once a week when staying in Lucca each summer and always find the town extremely quiet when we leave the restaurant.

mesh

Edited: 07 November 2017, 19:39
Mentioned in this post
Bagni di Pisa
Bagni di Pisa
931 Reviews
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Peaks Island, Maine
Level Contributor
159 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Lucca via public transportation

Buongiorno....I think your idea of a private driver taking you to Lucca is a wonderful idea. We have day tripped to Montecatini plus Alta and Pistoia on previous stays in lucca and enjoyed both. The tram to Alta does take a break during lunch you must plan for and the line was fairly long when it began running after it restarted. It sounds like you will have only three days for lucca if you Tour on your way there......I know you will find plenty to do without another day of tripping......but buying to Bagni di Lucca is fairly easy.....

We will be in lucca till maggio 8 so maybe we can connect....or I can let you know if anything special is going on. You will be a week early for the classical music festival which is fabulous.

Mentioned in this post
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Pistoia
Pistoia
Province of Pistoia, Italy
Bagni di Pisa
Bagni di Pisa
931 Reviews
Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
13,631 posts
729 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Lucca via public transportation

Pistoia is anyway a good idea: it is well connected by train, it is somehow similar to Lucca but totally untouristy. If you want an example of a nice and typically Tuscan small city without touristyness, Pistoia is probably the best one.

Mentioned in this post
Pistoia
Pistoia
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
CA
Level Contributor
10,576 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Lucca via public transportation

The big deal in Pistoia is the huge Market Wed. and Sat. Great restaurant for lunch in back of the baptistry. I've never gone, but there is also a zoo.

Mentioned in this post
Pistoia
Pistoia
Reply to: Day trip from Lucca via public transportation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted